Default I Would Like to Get Out of Possible Construction/Roofing Contract Hours After Signing

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Virginia

I was offered a "free estimate" from a contracting company while I was shopping in a warehouse store. I accepted it because my roof needs work. The estimate was done today and when I told the rep I couldn't afford that price, he offered me financing. He said he needed to check my credit score and asked me to send a copy of my W2. In the meantime, he gave me what he called an "application" for financing to fill out, which I did. Then he had me sign and initial several things.

Well, one of my aunts is visiting me and while this was going on, she called someone, who called someone, who called someone, etc. etc., culminating in my mother calling me freaking out and saying that I shouldn't have signed anything at all because they could have slipped in something that will put me on the hook. So I looked up if there was a way to cancel this "application" or whatever is was and I came across a Virginia law called "Cancellation of sale" that states that I have the right to cancel a signed contract. I just wanted to see if this was accurate or if there was some loophole they could exploit.

If I'm stuck, what kind of penalty would I receive if I cancelled anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I Would Like to Get Out of Possible Construction/Roofing Contract Hours After Sig

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    I came across a Virginia law called "Cancellation of sale" that states that I have the right to cancel a signed contract. I just wanted to see if this was accurate or if there was some loophole they could exploit.
    Sorry, but that law applies only to home solicitations:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/....1/chapter2.1/

Not to you.

Whether you are on the hook or not depends on what you signed. Did you keep copies?

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post

That also depends on what you signed.

The only advantage you might have is if you didn't hand over any money. You didn't hand over any money, did you?

Default Re: I Would Like to Get Out of Possible Construction/Roofing Contract Hours After Sig

It does not matter what you signed or if you handed over money. If Virginia law is similar to CA law, which it appears to be, it only matters where you signed. If you signed a contract at their place of business it is binding. If you signed it in your home you have 72 hours to cancel the contract. Actually, if this vendor is doing business out of a big box store and they do not want to honor your cancellation, take the issue to the store. They hold the high card.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Sorry, but that law applies only to home solicitations:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/....1/chapter2.1/

Not to you.

Whether you are on the hook or not depends on what you signed. Did you keep copies?
    The rep said he would email me a copy but I have not received it yet.

That also depends on what you signed.

The only advantage you might have is if you didn't hand over any money. You didn't hand over any money, did you?
    I didn't hand over any money. Also, I have to apply to the home association to have work done, which I haven't done yet.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    It does not matter what you signed or if you handed over money. If Virginia law is similar to CA law, which it appears to be, it only matters where you signed. If you signed a contract at their place of business it is binding. If you signed it in your home you have 72 hours to cancel the contract. Actually, if this vendor is doing business out of a big box store and they do not want to honor your cancellation, take the issue to the store. They hold the high card.
    I signed it in my home. I don't know if they have any real connection to the store. It was one of those things where you are shopping and minding your own business and they ask if you're a home owner. I don't know if they are any more beholden to that store than Girl Scouts selling cookies.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    The rep said he would email me a copy but I have not received it yet.
    I didn't hand over any money. Also, I have to apply to the home association to have work done, which I haven't done yet.
    I signed it in my home.
    Then read the statute and send your cancellation in writing within the time limit as required.

In the future, never sign anything without getting a copy or a duplicate on the spot, even if you just take a picture of it with your camera phone.

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    Well, one of my aunts is visiting me and while this was going on, she called someone, who called someone, who called someone, etc. etc., culminating in my mother calling me freaking out and saying that I shouldn't have signed anything at all because they could have slipped in something that will put me on the hook.
    Huh? You carefully read this document that you signed and initialed in several places, right? If so, why is your mother concerned about what "could have" happened, and why do you care?

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    So I looked up if there was a way to cancel this "application" or whatever is was and I came across a Virginia law called "Cancellation of sale" that states that I have the right to cancel a signed contract. I just wanted to see if this was accurate
    Since you didn't cite the law you're talking about or provide any sort of link, it's impossible for anyone here to intelligently comment on it.

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    or if there was some loophole they could exploit.
    Not really sure what this means.

Quote Quoting MSWriter
    View Post
    No way to opine about this without reading the document you signed.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    In the future, never sign anything without getting a copy or a duplicate on the spot, even if you just take a picture of it with your camera phone.
    Yes, yes and more yes. And don't sign things without thoroughly reading and understanding what you're signing.

1. Sponsored Links