Default Can You Use Staples or Paperclips on Your Tax Return

Such an inane question, but I can find no authoritative answer on this simple question, not even from the IRS. Any one tax forum with tax professionals will render totally different answers. So, is there an authoritative answer?
    Do I staple or paperclip my return, or none?
    If stapled or paperclipped....exactly where on the page should the staple or clip be attached?

Crazy, nutty...but I've never found an final answer for this.

Default Re: Staple or Paperclip Your Return.the Ultimate Tax Question

You have way too much time on your hands.

However, Page 66 of the IRS 1040 instructions:

Assemble Your Return
    Assemble any schedules and forms be-hind Form 1040 in order of the “Attachment Sequence No.” shown in the upper right corner of the schedule or form. If you have supporting statements, arrange them in the same order as the schedules or forms they support and attach them last. File your return, schedules, and other attachments on standard size paper. Cutting the paper may cause problems in processing your return. Don’t attach correspondence or other items unless required to do so. Attach Forms W-2 and 2439 to Form 1040. If you received a Form W-2c (a corrected Form W-2), attach your original Forms W-2 and any Forms W-2c. Attach Forms W-2G and 1099-R to Form 1040 if tax was with-held.
    The instructions do not mandate any particular method of attachment so you are free to choose paper clip or staples and place them wherever you deem appropriate.

Default Re: Staple or Paperclip Your Return.the Ultimate Tax Question

Quote Quoting edkrane
    View Post
    Such an inane question, but I can find no authoritative answer on this simple question, not even from the IRS. Any one tax forum with tax professionals will render totally different answers. So, is there an authoritative answer?
    Do I staple or paperclip my return, or none?
    If stapled or paperclipped....exactly where on the page should the staple or clip be attached?

Crazy, nutty...but I've never found an final answer for this.
    You don't use paper clips or staples with electronically filed returns. And it is indeed the preference of the IRS that you electronically file returns when possible, though the law does not yet mandate that individuals electronically file their income tax returns. Nor is there any law or IRS procedure that specifies that you must either staple or paperclip the return. However, if you do file a paper return generally I recommend stapling the return so that when the envelope with the return is opened it is less likely that the return will fall apart or lose pages (e.g. return falls on the floor or whatever).

1. Sponsored Links