Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Can a Professor Call Me a Smoker in Front of the Class and Tell Me to Leave My Seat

My question involves education law in the State of: Texas
    I smoked 20 minutes before the class started, (Iím 25 years old)I walked in and took a seat at the front desk. My professor called my name and said that she canít be around smokers and told me to leave the front desk, I chose a new desk in the middle of the class and when I moved my stuff and was ready to continue listening to the lecture, my professor asked me to move to the back of the class otherwise she will leave and will not continue the class! I explained that I forgot my eyeglasses and will not be able to see anything from the back, she threatened to leave if I donít move.
    Iím going through the difficult process of quitting smoking and donít feel comfortable when somebody points it out especially in front of 20 other students. When I moved to the back I felt so measurable so I started crying and left the class.

Default Re: Can a Professor Call Me a Smoker in Front of the Class and Tell Me to Leave My Se

Of course, she can because she did. And there is nothing illegal about it. There is no way for us to know what your schools position on the issue is.

I'd suggest in the future you don't smoke before class.

Default Re: Can a Professor Call Me a Smoker in Front of the Class and Tell Me to Leave My Se

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Of course, she can because she did. And there is nothing illegal about it. There is no way for us to know what your schools position on the issue is.

I'd suggest in the future you don't smoke before class.
    Well, some people stink and smell but nobody calls them stinky in front of the whole class.. this is my personal right and my decision to smoke and in my opinion I have my right to chose where to seat!

There's nothing illegal about what you described.

What about forcing me to change my seats (2tines)?

Quote Quoting Korollallex
    View Post
    Well, some people stink and smell but nobody calls them stinky in front of the whole class.
    Tolerating body odor and tolerating folks who smell like an ashtray are very different things.

View Post
    this is my personal right and my decision to smoke and in my opinion I have my right to chose where to seat!
    I wouldn't call it a "right," but it's certainly correct that it's legal to smoke. However, it absolutely is a "right" to speak freely about your decision to smoke. Having a "right" to do something does not include the "right" to force others to tolerate your exercise of that "right." As far as where you sit, that's also not a legal "right." The rest of the world is not obligated to suffer because of your filthy habit.

There is nothing illegal about requiring you to change your seat. It is not your right under the law to have your first choice of seating.

Well you are probably not educated enough.. Iím in a 2 months program at the clinic.. so please

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    There is nothing illegal about requiring you to change your seat. It is not your right under the law to have your first choice of seating.
    Why me but not others?

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    There is no "process of quitting smoking."

There is either quit or don't quit.

You're just kidding yourself.
    Well you are probably not educated enough.. Iím in a 2 months program at the clinic.. so please

[QUOTE=pg1067;1111737]Tolerating body odor and tolerating folks who smell like an ashtray are very different things.

Hm... so you would tolerate not showering better than smoking addiction.. you are funny

View Post
    Well, some people stink and smell but nobody calls them stinky in front of the whole class.. this is my personal right and my decision to smoke and in my opinion I have my right to chose where to seat!
    And she clearly has the right to tell you to move and that you stink. It is her classroom after all. Unless you can find something in he school rules that says a prof can't make you move for smelling of smoke then you are out of luck.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    And she clearly has the right to tell you to move and that you stink. It is her classroom after all. Unless you can find something in he school rules that says a prof can't make you move for smelling of smoke then you are out of luck.
    Well then you are wrong, itís not her classroom, those are not her chairs and not her desks.. everything belongs to the collage and she is just an employee whoís gets paid by me and students like me. Her only goal is to teach and not to show her attitude (this is the meaning of being a professional)

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast