Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can a Professor Call Me a Smoker in Front of the Class and Tell Me to Leave My Se

If you want an explanation of the professor's personal motivations, you cannot get that here.

Default Re: Can a Professor Call Me a Smoker in Front of the Class and Tell Me to Leave My Se

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    If you want an explanation of the professor's personal motivations, you cannot get that here.
    Unfortunately!
    My GPA is 4.0, I always submit everything on time, and a really great student!
    I just donít want to come back to her class... but Iíve already paid $3500 for it

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You seem to be a perfect example of millennial entitlement. Simply don't go to her class smelling of smoke and there won't be a problem.
    Well, I talked to my adviser and this is absolutely my business how do I smell.. so the next class I will be at the fist desk.. and even if I decide to smoke again this is something she will need to deal with.. Iím not leaving the class I paid for.. she can leave anytime I donít mind.

Quote Quoting Korollallex
    View Post
    Well, I talked to my adviser and this is absolutely my business how do I smell.. so the next class I will be at the fist desk.. and even if I decide to smoke again this is something she will need to deal with.. Iím not leaving the class I paid for.. she can leave anytime I donít mind.
    We'll be looking for your post on how you can sue because the prof kicked you out of the class.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    We'll be looking for your post on how you can sue because the prof kicked you out of the class.
    Thatís why I talked to my adviser, she has no rights to kick me out... Iím not violating any rules or policies .. Iíll keep you guys posted... my class is on Thursday 8am

You have no legal right to either smoke or bring smoke into the class room, but depending on why the professor does not want you near you, she might have a legal (ADA) reason for not wanting a person reeking of smoke to sit near her. At what point your "adviser" is going to pretend that she never talked to you.

And if the professor has no legally protected reason, then you are putting school administration in a position to decide who they want to lose, you or your professor. And I am pretty sure your "adviser" is not administration and her opinion is worthless.

I also have never understood the point in posting a question on a legal help board, then ignoring every one of the answers.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I think OP is on the up side here and all you negative posters have it wrong.
    While the professor should have handled the situation in a more professional manner, pointing out that OP is a smoker is not actionable. Asking the OP to move further away if the smell was bothering her is not actionable. Professors are normally allowed to run their classes as they see fit, within the bounds of the law.

Some of the responders here were blunt, yes. OP could have ignored it but chose to respond in kind.

Korallex,

Have you brought this question to the department Chair, yet? The counselor or adviser is not the one who can exercise guidance over an instructor's classroom control. If you really want to find out if the professor can compel you to change seats, ask the department Chair for guidance. I suspect that you will find out that the professor has a great deal of leeway.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Korallex,

Have you brought this question to the department Chair, yet? The counselor or adviser is not the one who can exercise guidance over an instructor's classroom control. If you really want to find out if the professor can compel you to change seats, ask the department Chair for guidance. I suspect that you will find out that the professor has a great deal of leeway.
    No havenít tried yet just submitted a compliant form. She apologized and I thought we are good.. but tonight I looked at my grades and I got my first C, which is impossible.. my older sister who has PhD was helping me with that assignment.. I think I start getting problems for real

A school class room is NOT a public accomodation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast