Default Can You Sue Somebody Who Tricks You Into Deleting a Needed Computer File

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Georgia

So, I read on a forum that there's this virus called system 32..... I deleted it. Because they were saying that system 32 is a virus and your computer will run faster if you delete it. Anyways, I had to pay to get Windows reinstalled. And also lost a bunch of important work related files that I had on my PC. I do not even know who it was who wrote the comment or anything though. However, I had to pay for a new Windows CD, because I didn't have the original copy. And I also lost a bunch of work related files, and while I cannot put a specific value on it..... I lost a lot of very, very important documents because of the resulting computer crash and loss of my data. Would it be possible to sue the trolls that advised me to delete system 32?

Default Re: Someone Told Me to Delete System 32. Can I Sue Them and Win

You have already said you donít have any way to identify them.

But even if you could; no. Following the advice of an anonymous party to take an action on your computer when you have no idea what you are doing and harming your computer is your fault. Donít mess with things you know nothing about.

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post

So, I read on a forum that there's this virus called system 32..... I deleted it. Because they were saying that system 32 is a virus and your computer will run faster if you delete it. Anyways, I had to pay to get Windows reinstalled. And also lost a bunch of important work related files that I had on my PC. I do not even know who it was who wrote the comment or anything though. However, I had to pay for a new Windows CD, because I didn't have the original copy. And I also lost a bunch of work related files, and while I cannot put a specific value on it..... I lost a lot of very, very important documents because of the resulting computer crash and loss of my data. Would it be possible to sue the trolls that advised me to delete system 32?
    Self protection is your best safeguard in the internet world.

A key rule of the internet: never follow the directions of unknown persons on the internet to do things to your computer that you do not understand or to visit sites that you have never heard of. Trolls, hackers, phishers and other crooks abound on the internet and are just waiting to pounce on the unwary. When you heard the recommendation to this, you should have first verified it with a trusted source. A quick search of Google would have told you to never delete the System32 folder.

And perhaps the first rule of computing is backup your stuff regularly! If you have important/critical documents, make it a habit to back those documents up on a regular basis, and ideally store at least one copy of them in media that is not physically connected to your computer. That way, if your computer gets a virus or has some other problem that infects all the devices connected to your computer you still have copies of your work safely stored away that are not affected.

The reason that I mention these principles is that even if you could find the troll who suggested you delete that folder, you'd likely not get anything from it because (1) that troll owed you no particular duty of care and did not himself harm your computer — he simply made a suggestion that you were foolish enough to do without first checking it out and (2) had you taken the simple step of backing your stuff up (and holding on to your Windows system disk), you'd not have suffered the losses you did. In short, there is some negligence on your part here that works against you.

But as you don't even know who it was and apparently have no way to find out who it was, you'd be stuck anyway because to sue someone over this you first would have to be able to identify who it was. Next would be the challenge of proving that he told you to delete the folder. And there is the issue that you'd likely need to sue him in the state/country in which he lives. And that gets costly.

Bottom line here is that realistically you have no one really to blame for this but yourself, and even if there might have been something to go after, you have a number of hurdles to clear to win. Starting with finding him. And there is the prospect you'd spend more doing that than you'd recover.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear. What happened to you is unfortunate. But take this opportunity to learn from it so that you won't suffer a more serious problem in the future.

OP seems to have a lot of 'interesting' questions for this forum.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Steve418
    View Post

This is awesome!

System 32 is a part of the kernel of your OS and, as you learned the hard way, your computer is little more than a brick without it.

You should not delete files from your computer without knowing exactly what they are unless you're willing to accept total destruction. That said, if you'd taken your computer to a repair shop they may have been able to extract an image of your hard drive and recover the files.

You did it all by your lonesome so you have no one to blame other than yourself. There is no one to sue.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Deleting system32 is one of the more mild pranks that can be played on you. It's easily repaired and doesn't "brick" the comptuer or otherwise destroy any data. If you didn't have a legitimate version of windows, you have no complaint. If you did have a legitimate copy, there were easier ways than having to buy a new CD.

I'm curious about a couple things. Did someone specifically "advise[] [you] to delete" this file? Or did you simply "read on a forum" that you should do this and blindly follow it? What "forum" did you read this on? Why did you assume that whoever provided this "advice" had any clue what he/she was talking about? Do you regularly take unsolicited advice from anonymous strangers on the internet? If so, then I'd like to advise you that it is extremely important that you send me a $5,000 wire transfer immediately. I'll send you the wire transfer instructions by private message.

1. Sponsored Links