Default Getting a Job with a Misdemeanor

My question involves criminal records for the state of: California. I'm looking for work at the moment to try and take care of school and car expenses. I reapplied to Amazon after working there two years ago, and have to go through their process all over again, with a pending start date of March 1. That said, I still have a hit-and-run charge from last April (the incident was in April, the hearing in December) on my record. What companies, if any, will hire if I have that on my record? And should I look at trying to get expunged or sealed?

Default Re: Getting a Job with a Misdemeanor

You will have to ask individual companies what their policies are. There is no "one size fits all" policy that all companies use.

If you qualify to have the charge expunged, it makes sense to have it expunged.

If you have a misdemeanor, is there any difference (to a prospective employer) between traffic and non-traffic?

Once again, that is up to the employee in question, and to a certain degree what the job is.

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    If you have a misdemeanor, is there any difference (to a prospective employer) between traffic and non-traffic?
    Again, it will depend on the employer's policy. If you are applying for a job where you will be required to operate a company vehicle, the traffic misdemeanor may have more impact than a non-traffic one. Vice versa for a non-driving position.

I was having to do a background check for Amazon.

Assuming you were convicted, that offense should not be a legal bar to employment. If, after providing you with a conditional job offer they decide to deny you employment on that result alone, they must then articulate how the conviction "has a direct and adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job."

More information including a mention of the specific Labor Code section can be found here: https://www.californiaemploymentlawr...anuary-1-2018/

Or, you can Google the subject.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

It's not clear that you have a legal question. No one here will know which companies will and will not be ok with a particular type of criminal conviction. Should you seek expungement? If it's available, absolutely.

1. Sponsored Links