Default Daughter Purchased a Car with Boyfriend and Now They May Split Up Now

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: oregon. My daughter who is 22 just purchased a car with her boyfriend about a week ago. It now appears they are may break up which sucks because i helped them get the car after the one i gave my daughter broke a timing belt. Both names are on the loan, title and registration. They fought about the car because he paid more of the downpayment. She is also 36 weeks pregant with a high risk pregnancy. Is there anything she can do if they do break up. She needs it more than him which is why i helped with it.

Default Re: Daughter Purchased a Car with Boyfriend and Now They May Split Up Now

Is it titled daughter and boyfriend or daughter or boyfriend?

Hindsight is 20/20 but next time, replace the belt as it's likely to be cheaper than this mess is going to wind up being.

You could offer to buy out the boyfriend, depending on how much is involved and whether he is interested in that. You could ask him to buy your daughter out of her portion. You would also have to consider whether your daughter will be able to make any payments if the car was financed.

Default Re: Daughter Purchased a Car with Boyfriend and Now They May Split Up Now

The "wise" think to do (is there a wise or common sense forum anywhere) would be:

1. - buy the bf out. If he is not willing;
    2. - Offer to let him buy your daughter out; (if neither of these work, ask him for binding arbitration to resolve issue)

Buying the other out includes re-financing with the bank so the other is no longer liable.

3. - Pay off the loan, sign ownership to bf, pay for costs to re-title. Ouch, what a costly lesson.....

4. - Leave it as it, have her credit ruin, potentially be held responsible for her bf's use of the car or damages it causes, etc. etc.

1. Sponsored Links