Default Making Fun of Real People in a Video

I'm working on a short film for Internet release (for sale on Amazon Prime and on YouTube with ads). It's a mockumentary comedy that is a parody of a documentary TV show. In a way it's a form of commentary. It pokes fun at democrat policies as well as media bias in a "what if scenario". For example CNN "joyously" reports that Republicans have been wiped off the face of the earth. I wanted to also have mention Anderson Cooper soiling his pants in elation because Republicans have been wiped off the face of the earth.
    I see TV comedy shows (SNL, late night shows) making fun of real people and companies. Why would a short video be any different.

Default Re: Potentially Trademark Infringement

Quote Quoting MrMister
    View Post
    Why would a short video be any different.
    In terms of law, there is no difference between a "short video" and a television show. Obviously, however, no one who hasn't viewed your video will be in any position to comment intelligently on any legal issues that might be raised by its contents.

I've been reading up on law and satire and the believe-ability of a show as a test. I don't think anyone will think that this film is to be taken seriously. I will add a disclaimer at the start if that helps.

Understand that the allowances under trademark law that could make your video legal won’t stop a holder of a trademark from claiming you are infringing on their mark and even suing you. You would have to defend your use in court.

If the holder of the rights believes you are infringing on their rights, they must defend their rights lest they lose them.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Understand that the allowances under trademark law that could make your video legal won’t stop a holder of a trademark from claiming you are infringing on their mark and even suing you. You would have to defend your use in court.

If the holder of the rights believes you are infringing on their rights, they must defend their rights lest they lose them.
    True. I actually think I can replace "CNN" with "the mainstream media", and "NFL" with "professional football". But what about use of names of real people like Anderson Cooper, a public figure? By saying that Anderson Cooper "might soil his pants in elation" over having no more Republicans I'm making a commentary on the FACT that CNN is biased to the left.
    One option is to use a knock off name like "Anderson Lemon".

1. Sponsored Links