Default Core Charge on Battery

Why is it that I get taxed on core charge for buying a battery but when I return the old battery, I only get my core charge back? I do not get the tax that was charged on my core charge back.

Default Re: Core Charge on Battery

If you are taxed on the core charge your sales tax on the core charge should be refunded as well in any state I know about. Of course you didn't tell us your state so we can't check.

California

According to this publication you are not due a refund of the taxes for the core value.

https://www.boe.ca.gov/news/pdf/june01tib.pdf

It says “If you refund a core charge to your customer after the original sale, you must also be sure to refund any tax you collected on the charge.“

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    It says “If you refund a core charge to your customer after the original sale, you must also be sure to refund any tax you collected on the charge.“
    That says for reconditioned or rebuilt parts. In the left hand column of that same page it describes a core charge with the purchase of a battery, specifically. Tax is collected on the full value of the sale, including the “core charge”.

but it isn’t really a core charge. There is a value placed on the old battery and it is accepted in lieu of cash of that amount. When you being it in later, they are simply exchanging the value placed on the old battery for the battery. There is no tax returned because the sale price is the price including the value of the old battery

You are liable for tax on the selling price of the new or used part, including the core charge. Tax applies to the core charge because the allowance for the trade-in is considered part of your “pay- ment” for the sale

Selling price of new battery (includes a $7 core charge) Tax ($54 x 7%)
    Trade-in allowance
    Total
    $54.00 (price of battery
    3.78 sales tax
    - 7.00 credit given for the old battery

$50.78 total cost out of pocket when you turned in an old battery

1. Sponsored Links