Default Probate Procedures for Real Estate the Decedent Owned in Another Country

My father died a few weeks ago after a long battle with cancer. He lived in CA for most of his life but had a house in England which he inherited from his mother many years ago. I think the house is worth about US $300k. I have no idea how to deal with this house, can my CA attorneys deal with it? Do I need to get probate in the UK? Will I need to pay some UK taxes on this? Any help gratefully appreciated!

Default Re: California Father Had House in England

You are asking the wrong people as this forum is for US law, not UK law. However, I can tell you that your CA attorney can probably refer you to an attorney in the UK who can handle it for you.

Default Re: California Father Had House in England

Quote Quoting ConfusedCaz
    View Post
    can my CA attorneys deal with it?
    "Deal with it" is awfully vague. If your intent was to ask whether your California lawyers can do everything necessary to sell or transfer title to the home in England, as if the home were in CA, the answer is no.
    View Post
    Do I need to get probate in the UK?
    If the house is titled in your father's name, yes.
    View Post
    and to file a tax return. Is that true? Will I need to pay some UK taxes on this?
    Only an English tax professional will be able to advise you reliably about English tax issues. That said, if any tax is owed, it likely will be owed by the estate, not you.

1. Sponsored Links