Default When Will a Minor Go to Jail for Stealing Beer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Colorado

Hi.. i have made a mistake.. unfortunately I stole with a friend some beer in a shop... but it only was for 10$.. (my friend could run away)

The police officer were very mean to me.. I had to lie down on the floor he searched me and handcuffed me.. and he insulted me. I also insulted him then

Is it possible that I have to go to jail for it?

Iīm 13years old and it was the second time I got caught.. (the first time I only got a warning)

I know it was a mistake.. Iīm sorry..

Default Re: Do I Have to Go to Jail (13years Old)

At 13, you will not be sent to an adult jail. You might wind up in a YDC for a little bit but I imagine that's not very likely if this was just a snatch and grab.

ok thanks... could i do anything that i donīt have to go in a YDC?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

The police don't have to be kind to you. The police CAN insult you just as you can insult them...though I wouldn't given that you want a bit of kindness from them.

It sounds like they treated you as a criminal, which you are given that you steal stuff.

Given that this is your second offense they MAY send you to the YDC, who knows? No one here will be able to answer that question because we cannot see the future. This includes whether or not the DA is willing to cut a deal.

Claiming it was a mistake is ridiculous. It was something that you did willfully and, apparently, more than once. Being sorry is meaningless in situations like this. Sorry is for the people that accidentally kill someone in an auto accident or the like. You stole some beer because you wanted it. Your "sorry" is valueless.

What you need is an attorney and to not talk about this with anyone but them. Bear in mind that,as a condition of any deal, the prosecutor may require you to give up your friend. You'll have to decide just how badly you want to stay out of the YDC.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    What you need is an attorney and to not talk about this with anyone but them. Bear in mind that,as a condition of any deal, the prosecutor may require you to give up your friend. You'll have to decide just how badly you want to stay out of the YDC.
    P.S. Find less criminally-inclined friends if you can.

Quote Quoting carson2006
    View Post
    ok thanks... could i do anything that i donīt have to go in a YDC?
    Yes, change your life around.

1. Find new friends.
    2. Help your parents out around the house.
    3. Make sure to improve in school.
    4. Get all your homework done and handed in on time.
    5. Go to church with your parents.
    6. Stick around for school activity.

Doing all those things will change your character around. Your parents will tell the judge how you have changed. Your school guidance counselor will tell the judge how you have changed. Just maybe the police from your neighborhood will tell how you have been staying out of trouble.

Tell the judge that you are sorry for all the trouble that you have brought on to your parents and all that are involved in your issue.

The judge will take all that into consideration during sentencing.

It's all up to you if you're going to change. Good Luck
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Yes, change your life around.

1. Find new friends.
    2. Help your parents out around the house.
    3. Make sure to improve in school.
    4. Get all your homework done and handed in on time.
    5. Go to church with your parents.
    6. Stick around for school activity.

Doing all those things will change your character around. Your parents will tell the judge how you have changed. Your school guidance counselor will tell the judge how you have changed. Just maybe the police from your neighborhood will tell how you have been staying out of trouble.

Tell the judge that you are sorry for all the trouble that you have brought on to your parents and all that are involved in your issue.

The judge will take all that into consideration during sentencing.

It's all up to you if you're going to change. Good Luck
    ok thanks... i will do my best

Whoa! You're lucky the cops didn't show up in the Paddy wagon, start quoting "The Shield" and give you a baton shower!

But seriously, you'll likely just have to talk with a psychologist from the county and/or take some super embarrassing class.

Stop stealing.

Also, don't judge people that young. My bad influence childhood friend grew up to be a corporate CPA.

Then again, you could also argue that he exchanged one method of stealing for another!

1. Sponsored Links