Default Transferring Utilities to Roommates

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Hello again! I am about give my landlord a months notice that Iím moving out and i have paid for the final month. (Basically last tenancy feb 28) but i plan to move out sooner than that.

I have all utilities listed under my name, can i have that transferred to another roommate if i leave sooner than that? I donít want to leave mid feb and they take advantage by leaving lights on or running the heater/ running up the bill. Is it illegal for me to shut it off if they refuse to transfer the title of utilities?

Default Re: Transferring Utilities

Are your roommates your tenants? In other words, do they pay you and you pay the landlord or do they each pay the landlord on separate agreements?

If they are not your tenants, you have no obligation to provide utilities for them.

However, when you do cancel your account with the utility companies make sure the companies have your new address for the final bill and make sure you follow up to make sure the account is in somebody else's name. Otherwise you might find out months later that you are still on it and the account went to collections.

They are not my tenants, the landlord does not cover our utilities. They do however give me rent and i write a single check to the landlord. The roommates are on the lease and the lease just states that we the tenants, provide our own utilities.

I just want to make sure that if I do leave early, and close my account, that my roommates wont try to sue me for shutting off their utility.

Is Feb 28th when the lease expires?

Quote Quoting Roxyfoxy
    View Post
    can i have that transferred to another roommate if i leave sooner than that?
    "Transferred"? I'm not aware of any utility provider who "transfers" service, but you're free to call your utility providers and ask. Generally what should happen is that you call to cancel service in your name effective on X date, and whoever wants service put into his/her name calls separately and arranges for the service. Regardless, this isn't a legal issue.

Quote Quoting Roxyfoxy
    View Post
    Is it illegal for me to shut it off if they refuse to transfer the title of utilities?
    "Shut it off"? Are you talking about switching off the main electrical breaker and doing similar things with other utilities? If so, why would you even consider doing these sorts of things? If this is nothing more than a variation on your previous question, no it's not illegal.

It's really simple. One of your co-tenants has to apply for and obtain an account for the utilities. You get to transfer nothing.

Will you need utilities in your name at your new place ? You will have to transfer the service from your current place to your new one. You can ask the utility companies turn off the utilities in at your current place March 1 or before. Utilities at your new place can be turned on before the date they are turned off at your current place. But you will be responsible for paying the entire final bill at your current place. You may or may not be charged a transfer fee.

One of your roommates will need to get the utilities in their name. They will more than likely have to pay a deposit for each utility.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Is Feb 28th when the lease expires?
    Yes, but I have already found a new place. Right now, I’m still in the process of moving. We are planning to have everything out of there Friday. I will no longer be on the premise Feb 11.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    "Transferred"? I'm not aware of any utility provider who "transfers" service, but you're free to call your utility providers and ask. Generally what should happen is that you call to cancel service in your name effective on X date, and whoever wants service put into his/her name calls separately and arranges for the service. Regardless, this isn't a legal issue.

"Shut it off"? Are you talking about switching off the main electrical breaker and doing similar things with other utilities? If so, why would you even consider doing these sorts of things? If this is nothing more than a variation on your previous question, no it's not illegal.
    Not shut it off through those means. I meant shut it off by canceling services through the city. Thank you for your help.

1. Sponsored Links