Unhappy Who is Responsible to Pay for Repair of Accidental Damage

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York
    I am currently renting a mobile home on private property. During a get together a friend slipped and fell causing damages to a wall as well as a door. I have offered to o these repairs as well as pay for costs of materials to repair the damages, how ever my land lady is also insisting that I pay her brother $ 60/hr to do the said repairs.
    Am I responsible to pay the " maintenance man ". I have never come across this before while renting, generally I compete necessary repairs my self how ever this land lord is against any self maintenance

Default Re: Who is Responsible to Pay Maintenance Costs

The landlord is not obligated to allow you to repair the damages. You are liable for the cost to repair the damages, including labor if there is any.

Thank you jk
    I was always under the assumption that the maintenance cost was factored in to the rental cost.
    Am I obligated to use her brother to do the repairs or can I hire another qualified person.

What you describe is not maintenance. You described damages. There is a world of difference.

you do not get to choose who does the work. It is the landlords property and they control who is allowed to perform work on their property. If the cost is out of line with a true market cost you would have a valid argument the cost was inflated to pay only a true market value of the repairs.

Quote Quoting Missy Ramsey
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: New York
    I am currently renting a mobile home on private property. During a get together a friend slipped and fell causing damages to a wall as well as a door. I have offered to o these repairs as well as pay for costs of materials to repair the damages, how ever my land lady is also insisting that I pay her brother $ 60/hr to do the said repairs.
    Am I responsible to pay the " maintenance man ". I have never come across this before while renting, generally I compete necessary repairs my self how ever this land lord is against any self maintenance
    Do you have renter's insurance?

Your liability for your friend's negligence might be covered.

As for the $60 per hour, most contractors get that or better.

1. Sponsored Links