Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default California Laws for a Snake Purchase

Hello,
    I would like to know if the snake species: Python Molurus is subject to a particular regulation to purchase in California?

Thank you!

Default Re: Snake Purchase

Unless this regulation has been updated they seem to be illegal in the entire US.

https://www.fws.gov/verobeach/Python...023%202012.pdf

Thank you for your impressive responsiveness

You are welcome.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Hm, Burmese Python's are illegal now? News to me...I had one back in 1999-2001 and it was a great snake. It was an albino high orange with a good disposition. Granted, it was 7' long when I had to sell it to a specialty dealer as I was leaving the country for work. Oddly, no one I knew as up for keeping a large snake for a protracted period. especially when you have to say " Don't worry you only have to feed it once a month with 3 large rats or, if you can stomach it, one bunny". I fed them live.

These snakes have wreaked havoc in the Florida Everglades and, recently, the largest ever caught was 18' long. While I support responsible reptile ownership they are animals that live for as long as 20 years or more. To release one to the wild is incredibly destructive, especially one that grows like this.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

As of March 23, 2012, they are illegal to import into the US or transport interstate.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    As of March 23, 2012, they are illegal to import into the US or transport interstate.
    Yup, I read that. Part of me want to say that it's too bad. The other part of me, the larger part, recognizes that these snakes are incredibly harmful to the environment if released to the wild or if the escaped. Alas, there are many people that don't realize the awesome responsibility pet ownership is. It's a lifelong commitment for the life of the pet. Given the relative size that a Burmese python can grow to it would really be irresponsible to own one or handle one alone.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    While they are still illegal to import they can be transported/shipped within most of the US. See http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uplo...als-Mem-Op.pdf for a copy of the appeals court ruling against US FWS on 04/07/2017.

Some states like FL, NY, HI, OH, and DC have their own laws restricting and/or prohibiting ownership but CA does not.

Quote Quoting bcr229
    View Post
    While they are still illegal to import they can be transported/shipped within most of the US. See http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uplo...als-Mem-Op.pdf for a copy of the appeals court ruling against US FWS on 04/07/2017.

Some states like FL, NY, HI, OH, and DC have their own laws restricting and/or prohibiting ownership but CA does not.
    so, based on that and other statements, it wouldn’t be illegal to own such an animal as long as the germane states laws do not prohibit it. Additionally the snake could be purchased from some other state other than California and be transported to California as long as one doesn’t enter the states you have listed or any other states with laws prohibiting the possession or transport of the snake.

that means it must be a snake already within the US as well given they cannot be imported into the US

Nice catch on the court’s ruling matter.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Nice catch on the court’s ruling matter.
    Well, I have over a dozen large constrictors under my roof so I pay very close attention to laws about them.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast