Question Can a Corporate Leasing Employee Work on the Side as a Real Estate Agent

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Georgia

Hello,

If I handle corporate leases (negotiations, drafting leases/subleases, soliciting subtenants) for my company for my company's properties (not a property management company, just a large company with multiple offices), am I able to sell real estate without a conflict of interest?

I know my RE license would be hung at a broker's office and he/she would be responsible for all my activities related to real estate, but my company isn't affiliated with a broker and I'm full time. Trying to ensure I'm not breaking any rules before I dive into this new side business.

Thanks

Default Re: Can a Person Handling Corp Leases at Work Be a Real Estate Agent on the Side

I think it would be wiser to confine your real estate activities to residential real estate, for the sake of politics, but other than that I really don't see any conflicts. Others may have different opinions.

Default Re: Can a Person Handling Corp Leases at Work Be a Real Estate Agent on the Side

Does your employer have any conflict of interest rules that prohibit this type of outside activity? If so, while they may not have the force of law, violation could cost you your job.

Determining whether a conflict of interest exists in a particular transaction obviously requires knowing who the parties to the transaction is. If your employer is not a party to a transaction or in any way affiliated with any party to the transaction, why would you be concerned about a possible conflict of interest?

Keep in mind that, regardless of the existence of a conflict of interest, your employer may frown on you moonlighting.

HI, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Licensed agents are not allowed to do any real estate transactions without the approval of their broker. Is my day job considered a conflict of that?

My day job has no business in my personal business and has no rules about me moonlighting. Our business has nothing to do with property management or real estate outside of our own, it is just something we need to operate our business across the country with multiple office locations.

Hope that clears that up. Thanks

Quote Quoting usone123
    View Post
    HI, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Licensed agents are not allowed to do any real estate transactions without the approval of their broker. Is my day job considered a conflict of that?

My day job has no business in my personal business and has no rules about me moonlighting. Our business has nothing to do with property management or real estate outside of our own, it is just something we need to operate our business across the country with multiple office locations.

Hope that clears that up. Thanks
    Then you need to have a serious discussion with any broker you contemplate working with. You don't want to affiliate with one who might decide that they have a problem with your primary job.

Quote Quoting usone123
    View Post

If I handle corporate leases (negotiations, drafting leases/subleases, soliciting subtenants) for my company for my company's properties (not a property management company, just a large company with multiple offices), am I able to sell real estate without a conflict of interest?
    Are these properties owned by the company or leased by the company? If they are leases, you may find yourself on both sides of the fence (a conflict). Who's interest would you put forward? The company, the property owner, or your own?

agree that you need to have discussions with both a broker who you would work under AND your current employer.

I worked HR for a property management company for many years and we had a broker/RE agent on staff who managed our ownership of property and leases to others while also being allowed to do residential RE (which we didn't have). However because we paid him salary, he was required to share a portion of his commissions to help pay for company property (cell phone, office space, etc) that he used for the residential side. But that is just one instance and based in TX on our company policies and the fact that he also had his brokers license (although is wife for a while also was paid a salary as an employee of our company and worked under him and did strictly residential)

Thank you all. Looks like I need to find a flexible broker to see what they think.

1. Sponsored Links