Default After Installing a Fence in Backyard, Learned That Neighbor Has Sprinklers on My Land

My question involves real estate located in the State of: CA

I have some terrible neighbors with whom communication is impossible, and my backyard blends with theirs naturally (their side begins on a slope where I had learned--via an official survey--is partly my property). So after several nasty disputes, I went ahead and installed a fence fully at my expense, built a few feet within my property line, only to learn that he has about a dozen sprinklers installed on it (not sure how long it's been there). I was able to cap them since I no longer need them, but want to cover my bases and be safe of any potential action he might be in the position to take.

Any advice on what actions I could or should take to protect myself from potential headaches?

Default Re: After Installing a Fence in Backyard, Learned That Neighbor Has Sprinklers on My

it depends on what you wish to achieve. What is your end goal?

Default Re: After Installing a Fence in Backyard, Learned That Neighbor Has Sprinklers on My

Quote Quoting aj_waterman
    View Post
    My question involves real estate located in the State of: CA

I have some terrible neighbors with whom communication is impossible, and my backyard blends with theirs naturally (their side begins on a slope where I had learned--via an official survey--is partly my property). So after several nasty disputes, I went ahead and installed a fence fully at my expense, built a few feet within my property line, only to learn that he has about a dozen sprinklers installed on it (not sure how long it's been there). I was able to cap them since I no longer need them, but want to cover my bases and be safe of any potential action he might be in the position to take.

Any advice on what actions I could or should take to protect myself from potential headaches?
    Aj, now that the fence has been installed stop worrying about. You have the survey showing that the land is yours. Take pictures of the erected fence. If the neighbor does damage to the fence, call the police for destruction of your property and trespass. If the neighbor wants to challenge that the land is theirs, tell him you will settle it in court.

Quote Quoting aj_waterman
    View Post
    want to cover my bases and be safe of any potential action he might be in the position to take.
    ANY potential action?

There could be hundreds of potential actions he can take, none of which you can prepare for or prevent.

You'll just have to get on with your life and quit stewing over this. If something happens you handle it when it happens.

Actually I see a potential problem for the op if he doesn’t address this. If the piping on his side of the fence was to be damaged and it caused the neighbors water or electric bill to be affected, it could create a liability for the op.

As well, it will surely confuse the issue of damages to the ops property should a pipe leak and wash out the op’s yard or worse.

At least the piping should be capped at the property line. (I read the original post as the op capped the particular sprinkler heads)

but should a cap leak, op opens himself up for liability issues.

But cutting the sprinkler lines at the property line (to cap them there) would be damaging the neighbor's property. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    But cutting the sprinkler lines at the property line (to cap them there) would be damaging the neighbor's property. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
    If it’s immediately inside the op’s property and they don’t leak, I suspect the op would be safe, unless some further action by the op (a new fence post where the hole is drilled where the forgotten sprinkler line is located) caused damage.

Yes, it does result in a situstion where op could lose either way no matter what the op does, short of reaching an agreementment with the neighbor or seeking a resolution in court.

Thanks for the reply folks. I know I tend to worry more than usual, but just wanted to cover my bases. The sprinkler tip was a good one to be wary of just in case. Appreciate it!

1. Sponsored Links