Default Amending a Legal Name Change Petition in California

This is a little confusing so bear with me. We’ll say my birth name is “Joe Jack Jim, Jr”. On the court documents I only put “Joe Jack Jim” because my father has passed. My new name is “Joe Jack”..obviously not my name but pretty much what I did. Now I can’t amend my birth certificate because the original has “Junior” and I left that out on the court docs. So do I have to do the whole process again.. change my name back to my birth name (with Junior) and then do another change to my current name?! 😂 please help. Thank you

Default Re: Amending a California Legal Name Change

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    This is a little confusing so bear with me. We’ll say my birth name is “Joe Jack Jim, Jr”. On the court documents I only put “Joe Jack Jim” because my father has passed. My new name is “Joe Jack”..obviously not my name but pretty much what I did. Now I can’t amend my birth certificate because the original has “Junior” and I left that out on the court docs. So do I have to do the whole process again.. change my name back to my birth name (with Junior) and then do another change to my current name?! �� please help. Thank you
    I think that you have just messed things up enough trying to do this on your own, that you now need to get an attorney involved.

What I really want to know is it possible to Amend the court documents?

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    do I have to do the whole process again.. change my name back to my birth name (with Junior) and then do another change to my current name?!
    There should be a simple way to ask the court to amend the name change decree to show the correct previous name.

I couldn't find anything about that on the court website so I have to agree that it's time for a lawyer.

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    We’ll say my birth name is “Joe Jack Jim, Jr”.
    When a child is named the same as his/her father or mother, "Junior" or "Jr." is rarely part of the child's legal name. Does "Junior" or "Jr." actually appear on your birth certificate?

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    On the court documents I only put “Joe Jack Jim” because my father has passed.
    The "because" part of this sentence makes no sense. Your father being alive or dead has nothing to do with what your legal name is.

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    Now I can’t amend my birth certificate because the original has “Junior” and I left that out on the court docs.
    Why would you amend your birth certificate? Just because, 18+ years after you were born, you changed your name doesn't mean your birth certificate should be amended.

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    So do I have to do the whole process again.. change my name back to my birth name (with Junior) and then do another change to my current name?
    Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question. Was it intended to be a question? If so, what were you intending to ask?

When a child is named the same as his/her father or mother, "Junior" or "Jr." is rarely part of the child's legal name. Does "Junior" or "Jr." actually appear on your birth certificate?
    Bullhockey. I am a Junior. The Junior suffix is part of my official name. It's on the birth certificate, passport, social security card, my driver's license, my TSA IDs, all my tax records, etc..

My father is still alive, but if he does pass before I did, I'd probably will keep the Jr. because changing it would be a royal pain.

If the name change order has Jr., it certainly IS part of the legal name.
    If you don't like it, you'll have to get a new order most likely. Changing the existing one is likely limitted to the case where you notice an immediate error in the decree.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Bullhockey. I am a Junior. The Junior suffix is part of my official name. It's on the birth certificate, passport, social security card, my driver's license, my TSA IDs, all my tax records, etc..

. . .

If the name change order has Jr., it certainly IS part of the legal name.
    I don't disagree with the last part, and your personal anecdote does not contradict what I wrote previously.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    I don't disagree with the last part, and your personal anecdote does not contradict what I wrote previously.
    But neither does your unsubstantiated assertion confirm it. In fact, I've got a larger sample set than just myself. While it is allowed to not to add suffixes to the legal name, it's far from uncommon that such are placed there. T

Quote Quoting 1guyinsd
    View Post
    This is a little confusing so bear with me. We’ll say my birth name is “Joe Jack Jim, Jr”. On the court documents I only put “Joe Jack Jim” because my father has passed. My new name is “Joe Jack”..obviously not my name but pretty much what I did. Now I can’t amend my birth certificate because the original has “Junior” and I left that out on the court docs. So do I have to do the whole process again.. change my name back to my birth name (with Junior) and then do another change to my current name?! please help. Thank you
    If you are stating that your name change petition did not use your proper, legal name, you may be able to amend the petition to correctly identify your name but, subsequent to doing so, you would need to properly publish notice of your name change using the proper name. If you have already done so using the incorrect name, you'll incur that expense and delay all over again before your petition can proceed. (But if successful, amendment will save you from also having to pay a new filing fee.)

1. Sponsored Links