Default Filing for Eviction When One Tenant Has Moved Out and Lives in Another State

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado

I'm going to be filing the complaint, summons and answer forms against some tenants. One still lives at the house, but the other has moved out of state. Do I need to serve both tenants (whose names are on the lease) and mail the forms to both of them or is it sufficient to serve the one still at the house? Thank you.

Default Re: One of the Tenants Lives in a Different State Now

You have to serve each one separately.

Is this for an eviction?

Yes, it is for an eviction. Will it be sufficient to post a copy for the individual living out of state and then also mail a copy to this individual? This person has never formally given me his new address; I only have it from his return address from a recent rent payment.

Quote Quoting camel1971
    View Post
    Yes, it is for an eviction. Will it be sufficient to post a copy for the individual living out of state and then also mail a copy to this individual? This person has never formally given me his new address; I only have it from his return address from a recent rent payment.
    If you are not hoping to recover money damages, you may be able to get the out-of-state tenant to cooperate with the eviction process, because that person may be willing to sign releases in order to avoid being named to an eviction lawsuit or having an order of eviction entered in their name (which will appear on their credit report and significantly affect their ability to obtain future rentals.)

1. Sponsored Links