Default Can You Send Anonymous Emails to a Court

My question involves criminal law for the state of: oklahoma

I sent an email (gmail rather) to the court clerk in the county where there is an open domestic violence case against someone I know from years past to be a bit dangerous, mainly to women. I told them of the things he's done years ago, and that I didn't want to have my name known. I wanted to remain anonymous thru the whole thing out of fear for my safety. I mentioned that he had sex with a 15yr old years ago, and maybe another girl that age, but despite it being reported, the police at the time did nothing. It's literally not on their records ANYWHERE. As if it didn't even happen. (Small town, good ole boy police) I mentioned one of the girl's name. I am so afraid of this individual that I promptly deleted that particular gmail address from my account hoping the D.A won't contact me, so as not to possibly leak my identity. It took me weeks of weighing whether or not I should even get involved. In the end, I decided to do it because I felt I needed to speak up. Even after years.

My question: I tried the contact info given for the D.A in question, but couldn't get thru to anyone, so I left the message with the court clerk of that county. Will the court clerk likely relay the email to the D.A ?

Default Re: Gmail Sent to Court Clerk

Maybe, but I doubt it. Hearsay from an unnamed source is almost worthless.

I doubt you will hear anything from the email. Never assume an individual or office will keep your identity a secret.

Thanks. I kind of had my doubts much of it can be used, although, even though I SAID I wanted to remain anonymous, the truth is they still have my email and can track me down that way.
    Mainly, I just felt I should say my peace to them so they could have something in the back of their minds to decide to hold this guy accountable.

The next hearing is on March 1, and it's a status hearing, so this may come up then.

Unless the court is using google services, you sent email.

What you did is called ex parte communication (if you were somehow involved with one side or the other). This is almost certainly required to be disregarded by the court. It's not admissible anyhow. If you have something that you think will affect one side or the other in this case, you should address your concerns to the attorney on that side. If they fell you have something that will help them, they will have you testify.

We have no way of predicting what some unknown clerk in one of the 77 counties in Oklahoma will do. That being said, in the interests of full disclosure, the clerk should make the judge aware of the e-mail, and the judge should then advise the parties that the e-mail was received. The e-mail could even end up in the court file as part of the public record, although it is inadmissible

If you send an email to the clerk, it's not necessarily the case that the clerk's office would have the requisite information to file the email -- they need the case name and number for that purpose. Also, an email rant is not a proper court pleading, so even if it could be associated with your file it could be rejected as suitable for filing. If the email is filed it will become part of the public record.

I gave them the name of the person charged with the crime, and some things he had done in the past, that I thought MIGHT have some bearing on what he's being charged with now. But it had to do with things done over 20yrs ago, and I told them I wanted to remain anonymous, but honestly, they have my email, so they could find me if they really wanted too. But it's been since January 19, and I haven't heard a thing back from them.

Again, the court clerk is not the one to act on this. If you want to help the prosecution, send your information to the prosecutor or police. If you want to help the defense, send it to the defense counsel.

Quote Quoting tdj
    View Post
    I gave them the name of the person charged with the crime, and some things he had done in the past, that I thought MIGHT have some bearing on what he's being charged with now. But it had to do with things done over 20yrs ago, and I told them I wanted to remain anonymous, but honestly, they have my email, so they could find me if they really wanted too. But it's been since January 19, and I haven't heard a thing back from them.
    And I can almost guarantee, that you never will...
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links