Post Marital Status on Naturalization Certificate

I am naturalized USA citizen and i got my citizenship 8 years ago. During the naturalization process i filled up N400 form and mentioned that i was married to foreign spouse. However i was actually engaged during that time and was not married on papers.

On interview/oath ceremony day the interview officer did not question me whether or not i was married because my naturalization application was based on the green card that i obtained through relative (i.e. my aunt who sponsored me). While it may sound that i am playing games but i am not. After i earned my naturalization certificate the girl that i loved got married with someone else and we moved on with each others life.

Now after 8 years i want to marry someone who is in foreign country but if i file for her petition (Form - I-130) my naturalization certificate would state that i was married. The tricky part is that i don't have foreign marriage certificate to prove that i was married and apply for divorce.

My only concern is what if i file I-130 would USCIS question about my previous marital status ? If yes, then is there anyway to amend my naturalization certificate. I know whoever would read this thread of mine would think that i am playing game and they would not buy my story but i swear on my loved ones i am not lying and whatever i did was an honest mistake.

The only proof that i currently have is the photograph proof of my ex-girlfriend that she married someone else. I would appreciate if someone can guide me on what should i do now ?

Default Re: Marital Status on Naturalization Certificate

Obviously, your claim that you were previously married is going to be an issue for you if you try to seek immigration for a fiancée or new spouse. I don't much care what your motivation was for falsely stating on your N400 that you were married if, in fact, you were not -- that false representation creates a problem for you. This is not a minor error, and it has stood uncorrected for a very long time.

As if you were not married you will not be able to prove an annulment or divorce such that you can establish that you are single, and thus eligible to bring a new fiancé or different spouse to the U.S., I suggest that you retain an immigration lawyer to help you try to correct this mess.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Obviously, your claim that you were previously married is going to be an issue for you if you try to seek immigration for a fiancée or new spouse. I don't much care what your motivation was for falsely stating on your N400 that you were married if, in fact, you were not -- that false representation creates a problem for you. This is not a minor error, and it has stood uncorrected for a very long time.

As if you were not married you will not be able to prove an annulment or divorce such that you can establish that you are single, and thus eligible to bring a new fiancé or different spouse to the U.S., I suggest that you retain an immigration lawyer to help you try to correct this mess.
    In life when we try to do right things thinking that everything would be right which in my case did not. I feel like i will be suffering for my entire life. I hope someone can help me. Will be calling USCIS tommorrow as soon as they open up.

Nobody here is going to be able to do this at a distance. You're going to need to see an immigration attorney. At the best, you have hoops to jump through, at worst, you may be facing a court action with regard to YOUR citizenship.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Nobody here is going to be able to do this at a distance. You're going to need to see an immigration attorney. At the best, you have hoops to jump through, at worst, you may be facing a court action with regard to YOUR citizenship.
    I am scared of everything here especially the worst one that court may take action against my citizenship. Hopefully i will have better view by tomorrow once i talk to USCIS.

Quote Quoting jon84dwk
    View Post
    I am scared of everything here especially the worst one that court may take action against my citizenship. Hopefully i will have better view by tomorrow once i talk to USCIS.
    If its not too late, you REALLY need to speak to an immigration attorney BEFORE speaking to the USCIS.

1. Sponsored Links