Default Can a Seller on a Contract for Deed Make You Buy Insurance in His Name

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Alabama. If I have Warrant of Deed Contact can my seller/landlord make me pay insurance for house but the insurance and his name?

Default Re: Can a Seller on a Contract for Deed Make You Buy Insurance in His Name

A buyer on a contract for deed will routinely be required to purchase homeowner's insurance, to name the seller as a beneficiary, and to provide to the seller proof that the policy is in effect. If you also contracted that the seller will be the owner of the policy, such a provision is likely enforceable; but you would have to review your contract to see precisely what you agreed to do.

Default Re: Can a Seller on a Contract for Deed Make You Buy Insurance in His Name

This is the third thread you've stared. Spreading your issues with this and misrepresenting the nature of the transaction isn't helping you get answers. In the other thread you said this was a lease. Which is it?

You were already told that is "warranty deed" not "warrant of deed."

As Mr. K points out, on contracts for deed, it is typically handled the same as if you were the owner and the seller is the bank. That is, YOU must carry and pay for insurance in order to represent HIS interests. If you had bought the house with a mortgage, they'd make you do the same thing.

I should point out that if the policy is only in the seller's name, there may be deficiencies in coverage. And this typically gets done when the seller still has the property financed, which is highly risky for everybody involved (you, him, his original lender).

1. Sponsored Links