Default In-Laws Have Certificate of Family Membership

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Texas

My in-laws showed me a certificate of family membership, signed by an attorney and a judge, that says my daughter is the child of my in-laws. I don't know how they got this. I have never been to court or received notice of any court hearings. Did I just lose my daughter?

Default Re: In-Laws Have Certificate of Family Membership

The only thing I can find that mentions "certificate of family membership" in Texas has to do with a Genealogical Society.

Are they trying to do something with this certificate?

Get thee to a lawyer, ASAP, for a full review of the documentation you were given.

Where is your spouse? Have you had issues with your relationship with the in-laws?

I don't see a certificate of family membership anywhere in relation to Texas family law. I do see something for Washington.

I am truly, truly, truly not trying to be a smart ass. I am truly, truly, truly, not being racist. I may be completely off the mark and if so, I apologize in advance. But I am going somewhere very specific with this.

By any chance are your in-laws Korean? Or from elsewhere in southeastern Asia?

The reason I ask is that in relation to my job, I occasionally need to request my employees to provide copies of their or their family members marriage and/or birth certificates, or other documentation proving relationship, and am provided with these Certificates of Family Membership as the closest equivalent. Our employee population is wide and varied and we have employees from multiple countries. These certificates do not have anything to do with custody.

However, if this is not the case, and if you are divorced or divorcing and there is a custody dispute, then Go To Your Attorney. Go Directly To Your Attorney. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200.

Quote Quoting SamG
    View Post
    a certificate of family membership
    Never heard of such a thing.

Quote Quoting SamG
    View Post
    that says my daughter is the child of my in-laws.
    So...your spouse's parents?

Quote Quoting SamG
    View Post
    I don't know how they got this.
    Well...presumably they didn't just stand mute when they showed this thing to you. What did they say to you (beyond, "hey, look at this")? What did the document say (presumably it said something beyond, "Sally Jones is the daughter of John Smith and Nancy Smith")? What was your response when they showed it to you? One would assume you'd have posed lots of questions to them.

Quote Quoting SamG
    View Post
    Did I just lose my daughter?
    Unlikely. Can you scan and post this "certificate" (with any identifying information redacted)?

On a similar, but slightly different, tack as cbg. Are your in-laws Native American?

1. Sponsored Links