Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Bed Bug Bites While in a Hotel

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    Yes, he mentioned it several times.

So how about a retraction or some 'expert' advice after learning that key part of the story?

PS - This is when you do the fade away routine.
    I guess you didn't read the NY case linked to above.

Having prior knowledge that, in the past there were bedbugs in some rooms (and then treated), is not enough to sue for punitive damages. Perhaps if they had prior knowledge that OP's room had bedbugs at the time they leased it to her it may be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I guess you didn't read the NY case linked to above.

Having prior knowledge that, in the past there were bedbugs in some rooms (and then treated), is not enough to sue for punitive damages. Perhaps if they had prior knowledge that OP's room had bedbugs at the time they leased it to her it may be a different story. But that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Punitive damages are where the big money is but it is by no means the only area to seek compensation. Also, the details of that case may be different than the OP's as well as the skill of each attorney.

My lawyer tried a case last year where a handicapped man was trapped in his fifth floor apartment for five days because the elevators, after many requests to fix them, were both out of service. The plaintiff was awarded $5.2M. Thats seems like a punitive award because of a wanton disregard for his tenants and a possible violation of the ADA, though I am not certain of those details of the case. But you tell me how he got the award up so high without punitive damages being applied?

Quote Quoting hopej50
    View Post
    Yes...the clerk at the front desk said they do have them, and when they do...take care of them immediately...however,the manager told me that they have had the bed bug problem for over 20 years with many claims...but they have never paid out anything other than actual incurred expenses on the two times they went to court..they won....so, yes, they do know about them. Have for a very long time. They just take their chances with their guests....when they find them...they call in a bug company. I was certain I had mentioned that they were aware of the issue.
    I did miss your previous mentions that you had reason to beleive that they knew about the problem. You need to consult a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4