Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Child Support Back Pay for a 17-Year-Old Child

My son received for the first time a child support order. His son is 17 years old. Is he liable for Back Pay? The child's mother has been on welfare all these years. He has been sending her money/money orders thru the mail all this time!
    He was served papers a little over a year ago. He has lived in DELAWARE for the last 5 years.
    His son has lived in NYC.

Default Re: Child Support Back Pay for a 17-Year-Old Child

Your son will need to read the child support order in order to determine if he has been required to pay retroactive child support, or if the order is prospective.

Quote Quoting millions134
    View Post
    My son received for the first time a child support order.
    Just to confirm: You're saying he received a court order that requires him to pay support. Correct? Or was he served with an application by some woman for a court order? Unless you explain otherwise, I'll assume the former is correct.

View Post
    Is he liable for Back Pay?
    It should go without saying that, since we have not read the court order and you did not tell us anything about what it says, we have no way of knowing what he's liable for.

View Post
    He has been sending her money/money orders thru the mail all this time!
    Did he keep copies of all of the money orders?

Was his paternity ever established? If so, when and how was it established?

View Post
    My son received for the first time a child support order. His son is 17 years old. Is he liable for Back Pay? The child's mother has been on welfare all these years. He has been sending her money/money orders thru the mail all this time!
    He was served papers a little over a year ago. He has lived in DELAWARE for the last 5 years.
    His son has lived in NYC.
    I REALLY hope your son kept receipts for all his payments. If the mom is playing the system against him, she may have waited to file so she could hopefully collect twice. Alternatively, in some states, the welfare department will go after the father for support to help them recover the cost for the welfare payments. Either way, he will want to present those payments to argue that he has been paying in lieu of an order.

When is this money considered a gift ? I thought if the parent was not court ordered to pay it. The payments were considered a gift and did not counted towards child support.

If the mother did not report this income to TANF, SNAP. etc. She could be in trouble. It is considered fraud to not report income.

It depends on what the son communicated, and the state, from what I understand. If there was no order, and he has a memo note on the check saying "Child Support", I have seen it count as such. Even if he doesn't have it noted as child support on the payment, and there was no order, and he was consistently paying a certain amount, a good lawyer may be able to build a case that it should be considered.

I had a friend in Washington State that got surprised with a back support order from California. The support enforcement agent said if he could show a consistent pattern of payments, they would review and consider it as part of what he had owed.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    When is this money considered a gift ? I thought if the parent was not court ordered to pay it. The payments were considered a gift and did not counted towards child support.

If the mother did not report this income to TANF, SNAP. etc. She could be in trouble. It is considered fraud to not report income.
    You can't have it both ways. Either the money was a gift (which is not reportable as income) or it is income.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    You can't have it both ways. Either the money was a gift (which is not reportable as income) or it is income.
    When a mother receives TANF. Money received, even if it is a gift, can be counted as income. If the mother told the state she was not receiving money from her child's father when she was. This is considered fraud.

He's only liable for the support from when the order was entered into the system. Anything before that, monies given outside of court are null and void.
    Example: the mother filed for child support on April 1st. child support starts adding up that day. If it takes six weeks to get to court, your son will be six
    weeks in arrears at the date of court. How he pays that arrears is somewhat dependent on the judge. The judge in my case said that if an IWO (Income withholding order)
    is executed then NYS takes the ordered support plus 50% of the payment toward arrears. Example: If ordered is $200 from each paycheck then $300 would come out. $200
    for current and $100 for arrears. If your son sends in the money hismelf he only has to pay $100 plus $25 for arrears. However, this will make arrears go on much longer
    and he can and will be charged interest at some point (but prob. not for year and years of not paying). Using the above numbers he would be $1200 in arrears. He can always
    pay more to get the arrears down.
    If he's been paying less than what he's ordered, then shame on him. In NY it's 17% of gross less fica and state. (https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/pdfs/CSSA.pdf)
    The judge may suggest these two options, OR just order an IWO automatically.
    Other things that will be decided in court: the income of the mother, medical coverage, extra cirricular activites. The judge in my case never even entertained extracirricular
    activities. If my son does that, *I* pay. But my ex pays 80% of billed medical expenses. (Our child is under his insurance anyway).

also note that support will continue while the child is in college if living home and not working. If your grandson leaves school and works, or works at any point or ages out
    it's up to your son to go in for a modification. Child support does NOT stop automatically.

Why she's going for support now who knows. She probably is losing her assistance.
    Does he at least see the child? Why did he move to another state if his son was in NY?
    If he never saw his son and just sent money maybe I agree w/ her finally opening an order.
    If my ex had seen his son more I could have worked more and I wouldn't even have asked for child support.
    But I digress. I replied just to put some info out there for others since I had NO INFO when I went thru all this.

Any particular reason you re-opened this year-old post?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast