Default Will Shoplifting at Universal Studios Affect Immigration

My question involves criminal law for the state of:
    One of my friend from India on tourist visa unfortunately shop lifted at Universal studios last year. He was caught by authorities and given a letter which said he confirms that he was involved in shop lifting and hence he is barred from entering Universal Studios in LA for next one year and the legal team of universal studios will contact him as per law of the land.
    But its been a year he has not received any mail or communication from universal studio.
    He has plan to visit San Francisco in February 2019 , will his visa get impacted ?

Default Re: Shop Lifting at Universal Studios

He has been in the US for over a year on a tourist visa?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...5.&lawCode=PEN

Seems to define the crime in question. From that, we can assume that 802 (a) is operative and the statute of limitations is one year. Meaning that if the police have not been involved within one year, they won't be involved. Universal doesn't get to tattle to CBP, so your friend is likely in the clear.
    https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...n/799-805.html

Quote Quoting MaltbyMark
    View Post
    https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...5.&lawCode=PEN

Seems to define the crime in question. From that, we can assume that 802 (a) is operative and the statute of limitations is one year. Meaning that if the police have not been involved within one year, they won't be involved. Universal doesn't get to tattle to CBP, so your friend is likely in the clear.
    https://law.justia.com/codes/califor...n/799-805.html
    While I’m not disagreeing with your post in general, it sounds like the person returned home at some point. I’m not sure how the op would know there was no attempt to contact the person or if there was anything initiated by the prosecutors office. If charges have been filed the sol is irrelevent.

Sounds to me that the friend was never arrested or charged and that he was simply barred from the park. If that is the case there shouldn't be any visa issues.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Sounds to me that the friend was never arrested or charged and that he was simply barred from the park. If that is the case there shouldn't be any visa issues.
    I agree. I simply tossed the caveat in there since it would appear the person has been pit of the country for some time. As such, there might have been something happening concerning the issue. It seems odd universal would not have contacted the person. Such a contact is usually to demand money through civil forfeiture laws. Many businesses are quite aggressive in using the system and the fact the person was told they would be contacted, I just wonder if something has been missed by the op

1. Sponsored Links