Default Can You Move Out Just Before Your 18th Birthday

Hello there. I'm 17 years old, about 2 weeks from being 18 and I live in the state of Wisconsin. My question is, can I move out of my parents house? While I know it is not legal, my social worker at my high school said that the police probably wouldn't do much about it if I left my parents' house being as how close I am to 18. I have a good paying job and will be switching to a different one soon, if not two. I'll be transferring to online courses to finish and graduate high school. My uncle and grandmother have both given me a place to go, and I feel much safer there. The closer I get to 18, the more mental and emotional abuse I put up with from my mother. She constantly yells and degrades me, and invades my privacy when there's no need to do so. She's said within the past week that she is done funding me/paying for my medical needs and so on and so forth. I REALLY need to get out of here. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Default Re: I'm Roughly 2 Weeks from Being 18. Can I Leave My Parents House

Legally, you can leave when you are 18. You might just want to wait for 2 weeks, then you can leave with whatever your parents allow you to leave with. Understand that when you leave, they may no longer support you. Your job will have to help pay for all your expenses - including medical insurance. Have you priced these things out? And while your uncle and grandmother may be able to provide you a place to stay, a roof is but one expense you will have to bear.

But, if you feel it is sooo bad at home that you must leave, do it on or after your 18th birthday. Only then can you truly make those adult mistakes that many do when they are your age.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

They've already cut my funding for medical. I pay for my own food, clothes, and such. Ive thought these things out and calculated what is going to need what for payments and what I can afford. Ive hit my breaking point here with my parents. Everyone I've spoken to is in support of me leaving, including my counselor who's known me for 7 years.

Legally, they are still responsible for your medical insurance for another 2 weeks, in spite of what they might have told you.

I have 4 adult children - 3 who have moved out (one came back after a bad crash), and let me say that when each of them left home (WITH our support, mind you) they each had difficulty making ends meet and dealing with logistics of life on their own since there was so much they did not account for. New tires on their used car. Keeping said used car serviceable. Insurance on said car (higher for boys, but also for anyone under 26). Toothpaste, food, drink, utilities, gas, tuition & books if you continue to college, etc. No matter how much you think you have it figured out, there are things that you cannot anticipate or simply do not consider. It's the nature of youth and a lack of world experience.

Now, I am not saying that you should remain at home after you turn 18 since I do not know your situation (though many teens complain about their parents). But, be ready for reality to shake you of the notion that you've thought of everything and that life away from parents will be sunshine, rainbows and unicorns.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

You've lasted this long; you can last another two weeks.

I pretty much lay for everything already. My car, my food, my bills, so on and so forth. Even the small things. I know it's not going to be sunshine and rainbows by leaving home; it hasnt been that way so far and I expect it to get worse before it gets better. I've dealt with this mental abuse from my mother for most of my life. As long as I can remember. To her I was a mistake and she doesnt hide the fact that she thinks such a thing. I love my father and I want to stay but I cant. I just need to know whether or not I can leave. Maybe not legally, but from the research I've done, its said the police wont drag me back and most likely wont do anything because of how close I am to being 18. My parents arent parents. They're just kids who had kids of their own. Please understand when i say that. i know you dont know them personally, but I'm not the only one who thinks this. Everyone i have spoken to (including the counselor and social worker) are in favor of me leaving early. That HAS to account for something to prove it's not just me being a child.

It’s only 2 weeks so I do not quite understand your reasoning. Are you trying to sneak out before your parents expect in order to avoid getting hassled? If not then maybe you can just concentrate your energy on packing and getting ready while avoiding any negative confrontations with your mom.

Quote Quoting Ian2001
    View Post
    I'm 17 years old, about 2 weeks from being 18 and I live in the state of Wisconsin. My question is, can I move out of my parents house?
    Can you? As in do you have the ability to do so? Ordinarily, I would assume that this isn't what you actually intended to ask, but your statement that you "know it is not legal" suggests it is what you intended to ask, but it's beyond me why you would think anyone here is familiar with your personal abilities. Is that really the only thing you intended to ask?

Quote Quoting Ian2001
    View Post
    my social worker at my high school said that the police probably wouldn't do much about it if I left my parents' house being as how close I am to 18.
    Probably true.

1. Sponsored Links