Default Can I Legally Move Out at 18 in Texas with Out Parents Consent

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Texas. I saw your reply on someone moving out at 18. Iím not doing it to be rebellious or jump into bills. I might not have a choice. Iím starting university and my mom wonít let me live on campus. Sheís paranoid something bad would happen to me and thinks driving 1 hour taking me everyday would be fine. So I donít want to argue with her and said fine, whatever. Yet, she complains about the gas and time frame doing it. So overall I feels she doesnít want me to get an education because itís a way of having a life she doesnít have. I think sheís jealous of me and is trying to stop me from my life. So I just wanted to make sure it was legal to move out at 18, Iíll be 19 next month and thereís nothing that could happen to me if she calls the cops.

Default Re: Can I Legally Move Out at 18 in Texas with Out Parents Consent

At 18 in Texas, you are free to move out if you so choose.

You're an adult and are free to live wherever you want to the extent you can afford to do so. Of course, your parents are also free to cut off whatever financial support they provide.

And keep in mind that their cooperation on your FAFSA may be a huge factor in your being able to afford college in the first place. Even if you are not living with your parents, their financial information will be what is going on those forms until you are quite a bit past 18. Their cooperation is still a big deal, sending out the police to bring you home isn't her only alternative. If your mother really didn't want you to go to college, there are a lot of things she could do other than just complaining about the cost of gas money (when it appears she is paying this gas money) and insisting that you live at home with a reasonable commute if she is paying for your expenses. It always costs a lot of money to live on campus, I'm curious about how you are planning to pay for it. Most apartments that rent to students close to campuses have VERY strict visitor policies, so don't expect to just couch surf with friends.

She...thinks driving 1 hour taking me everyday would be fine.
    It is fine. My daughter drove an hour each way from North Phoenix to ASU in Tempe for 2 years until she graduated and she survived quite well.

Do you have a drivers license ? Do you have a car ? Have you had any accidents, gotten tickets, etc ?

1. Sponsored Links