Default Father Used False Name on Child's Birth Certificate

My question involves name change laws in the State of: California

Must a father use his legal name on a child's birth certificate? My child's father, 'Greg', was born to an unwed woman but a father's name is given. When 'Greg' attended school he was known by a third name (not mother or father). When 'Greg' was about 18 he began using his uncle's last name. I didn't find out all of this (plus a lot of other shady/criminal things) until I was pregnant with our child. When the baby was born I agreed to the use of a hypenated last name on the birth certificate since we weren't married.

Long story short 'Greg' is a Jeckyl/Hyde and Mr. Hyde is now in full swing. My child and I now live in fear even though we have a restraining order "protecting" us from the violence that he exhibited after the baby was born.

Along with all the other legal issues I'm pursuing I really would like to get that name off of my child's birth certificate. 'Greg' is the biological father but the name is meaningless, inaccurate, and probably a fraud. How can I get it changed?

Default Re: Father Used False Name on Child's Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting CAW
    View Post
    Must a father use his legal name on a child's birth certificate?
    Without looking up the law, it would surprise me if there isn't a law that requires the parents to provide accurate names for a child's birth certificate.

Quote Quoting CAW
    View Post
    Along with all the other legal issues I'm pursuing I really would like to get that name off of my child's birth certificate. 'Greg' is the biological father but the name is meaningless, inaccurate, and probably a fraud. How can I get it changed?
    I'm not sure I follow. The man is your child's father and, as such, is properly identified on the child's birth certificate. That you chose to have sex with someone you apparently didn't know very well doesn't change that and isn't a valid reason to remove relevant information from the birth certificate. If you are able to obtain evidence that the name on your child's birth certificate is inaccurate, then you could seek to have the birth certificate amended.

Jumping to conclusions about a post is unnecessary. Have you heard about bigamists and others who live double lives? I thought that I knew him quite well. We had been together for a few years and he had moved into the home I owned. Once the baby was born his behavior and attitude changed.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Without looking up the law, it would surprise me if there isn't a law that requires the parents to provide accurate names for a child's birth certificate.

I'm not sure I follow. The man is your child's father and, as such, is properly identified on the child's birth certificate. That you chose to have sex with someone you apparently didn't know very well doesn't change that and isn't a valid reason to remove relevant information from the birth certificate. If you are able to obtain evidence that the name on your child's birth certificate is inaccurate, then you could seek to have the birth certificate amended.
    She is not talking about the name of the father listed on the birth certificate. She is talking about the father's half of the hyphenated last name of the child.

OP, you are not going to be able to change your child's last name easily, and perhaps not at all.

Is it legal for the father to use a name that isn't his legal name?

Quote Quoting CAW
    View Post
    Possibly...we don't know his side of the story. In addition, you don't know that is not his legal name.

Quote Quoting CAW
    View Post
    I would expect any statute of limitations to have elapsed, so you should be pursuing this for practical reasons only.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    She is not talking about the name of the father listed on the birth certificate. She is talking about the father's half of the hyphenated last name of the child.
    You're no more competent to interpret the OP's intent than I am. The OP wrote that she "really would like to get that name off of my child's birth certificate." Your interpretation is not unreasonable, but neither is mine, so I'll wait and see if the OP clarifies what exactly she's seeking to do.

Quote Quoting CAW
    View Post
    See my prior response. What result are you seeking to achieve?

Quote Quoting MaltbyMark
    View Post
    I would expect any statute of limitations to have elapsed, so you should be pursuing this for practical reasons only.
    Apologies. I thought that the child was 18. I see that there is no time frame stated.

1. Sponsored Links