Default Granddaughter Age 17 Parents Moved Left Her Behind Situation

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Idaho

My grandaughter is 17 and will be 18 in May we reside in Washington a border state and she often visits and attends church in Washington where we are
    Last summer her parents moved to another state 1500 miles away. They own the home she stays in and are paying the bills there. She did not want to move as it is her senior year of high school and she wanted to graduate where she attends now. Parents arranged to have her stay with friends but that fell apart in Late October.
    Her older sister has temp guardian ship but does not live with her she lives in Washington state 30 miles away and another sister 5 miles co-temp guardianship. Her school said until she is 18 in May she has to have someone stay at the house where she now is at night who is 20 or older. The sisters are both married with children at home. They have not been able to find anyone to stay more than a couple nights at a time this cannot keep up for 4 more months. She wants to move here with us where she knows she is safe and the school she attends said they could set up online classes until she can move back to the house end of April. After graduation from high school she has applied to go into a heavy construction field beginning with Labor starting in June after graduation the program is in Washington state. However her parents are telling her if she cannot get someone able to stay 20 or older with her until end of April she has to go to the state they live in. She is adamant she does not want to do that. She has goals planned her applied for work programs.

She does not trust her dad at all who is manipulative and controlling. My eldest son and wife are Washington State attorneys. They said basically the parents abandoned her and she being over 17 and half does not have to move to the state her parents are now and can move with us if she chooses. Her sisters are telling her she has to do what their parents require. She said if she does her dad will not let her return back here. She wants to be with us the next 3.5 months. Our son and daughter in law both Washington state attorneys said she does NOT have to go where her parents are and should not go as she was abandoned and she can go where she wants. Can her sisters and parents force her to go with her parents since she will be 18 in May? She also was set up by her parents is under a dental and community service program and has braces that come off in May and is to do a few hours a month community service in Idaho Which can be arranged if she can stay with us. She can keep her Idaho medical and address as it would only be until end of April. She can do online classes from her High school get her license to drive with our help and still graduate from the school she attends now come June.

There is no one in the family can live with her however or stay at night more than a night or two. It is a weird situation. We can step in and help and the 17 plus year old wants to come here to live for 3 and half months until she is 18. She is very smart and gets A's and B's no lower grades. She has worked some this past summer. We are rather caught in the middle but concerned. She would have her own room as we have two empty guest rooms also her cousin age 21 and his dad are right next door and help as well and we all go to the same church. January 31 she is going to be forced to go where her parents are unless we can show legally they cannot force her to go and abandon her dog and cat. Her dreams, goals and hopes. And potential for training for a good job this summer she wants to do.

Default Re: Granddaughter Age 17 Parents Moved Left Her Behind Situation

Quote Quoting Liberti
    View Post
    Last summer her parents moved to another state 1500 miles away. They own the home she stays in and are paying the bills there. She did not want to move as it is her senior year of high school and she wanted to graduate where she attends now. Parents arranged to have her stay with friends but that fell apart in Late October.
    I interpret this to mean that your 17 year old granddaughter lives by herself in a home in Idaho owned by her parents. If that's not correct, please clarify.

Quote Quoting Liberti
    View Post
    Her older sister has temp guardian ship
    Just clarifying that there is a court order for this guardianship. Without a court order, there is no guardianship.

Quote Quoting Liberti
    View Post
    Her school said until she is 18 in May she has to have someone stay at the house where she now is at night who is 20 or older.
    Why? Did the person at the school who said this cite some law that requires this?

Quote Quoting Liberti
    View Post
    Can her sisters and parents force her to go with her parents since she will be 18 in May?
    Even though your son and daughter-in-law are apparently not admitted to practice law in Idaho, they are far better sources of information about this than any anonymous stranger on an internet message board. That being said, in the absence of a court order divesting your granddaughter's parents of custody, it is likely that they have authority to dictate what their child does until such time as she turns 18. If the matter ended up in court, it might be that the court would find some sort of parental abandonment, but until and unless a court makes such a determination, the fact that two out-of-state lawyers say it doesn't mean anything.

Quote Quoting Liberti
    View Post
    and is to do a few hours a month community service in Idaho
    Why?

If you want to involve yourself, the first thing to do is to speak with the child's parents and pitch your plan. If they don't buy into it, your only other option is to seek a guardianship through the court in Idaho (or, if different, the court that entered the guardianship order for the older sister).

Do you live near a college or vo-tech school? An older girl might appreciate free housing for the semester? What about a hospital where there might be a nurse or tech? What about a retired woman on limited income? Do your church friends have friends or family in the area who might have 20 something daughters wanting to get out on their own that might be good roommates? Check with the schools to see if there is a student teacher coming for the semester who needs temporary housing.

When my DD was a young college student studying abroad, she lived with the DD of a staff member in the apartment owned by the staff member. They did just fine. I lived a continent away; you are close enough to keep track of them.

Her mom had an attorney in Idaho write up the guardianship papers but it was not filed in court I told them I am pretty sure it had to be but they did not do it. Also the 17 year old refused to sign it. My granddaughter age 17 wants us involved we see her often.

She technically lives in her parents home there but so far since the people she had been staying with kicked her out not sure all the reason why partly due to their children not getting along with her and partly due to them moving. The school she attends for some reason said she cannot stay there alone at night until she is 18 in May. The principal's husband is the town officer. So the past six weeks she stay with a friend or two who could come for an over night or with friends at their house but she can't keep doing this also the two older sisters have both spent time a couple nights with her or up to a week.

The past two weeks she was with us and wants to come here. I have talked to my daughter her mom. It is her dad that is against her being with us he is manipulative and controlling Long story but daughter gave up her job and left her still mortgaged home took the 3 younger children to another state 1500 miles away because her husband got a wild hair is about the gist of it. The 17 year old in her senior year and had a summer job refused to go and still does not want to go live there. Also they decided she needed to stay as she is in a program for low income to have dental care and much needed braces they pay $25 a month and 8 hours community service to pay for the Orthodontist care. Braces come off also in May and she might need a bit more dental care with back molars but nothing major. Daughter in law has another attorney in the practice with her and her husband licensed in both states and she said that the parents abandoned her because the move was not necessary and they are paying on mortgage still and 90% of what they have is still there.

My daughter is fine for her daughter to be with us her husband is not. No court ordered guardianship as parents refused to file it said signature was all that was needed. The attorneys here in Washington said that was not true and so did their partner licensed in both Idaho and Washington.

By Jan 31s she either comes here or to Nebraska unless they can get someone which is pretty much not likely to stay with her at the house and that enters another whole issue of landlord tenant possible problems. No school tech or college near there is one about 35 miles away. Our church is small 22 people half are family no one able to do it. We have asked about everyone we know and none able or else not willing.

They are checking two 20 years olds right now hoping they can stay and just pay the utilities which split is about $100 each each month and get a job no overnight boyfriends. Is what they are hoping if not then back to here or Nebraska. It is a small town on a reservation. Thanks

I'm skeptical that there is any law that prohibits her from living on her own. Nevertheless, the bottom line here is that she is subject to her parents control until she turns 18 or a court says otherwise.

According to the town cop where she lives he claims though she will be 18 soon it is risky on her own as a lot of people there did not like her dad and do not like her family. Some would do harm if they could. It technically is not illegal and her sisters and we help with food and other needs, her mom pays the mortgage and utiliites. So there is no real law it is just the school afraid of a lawsuit or something because she is an at risk minor with an IEP due some learning disabilities. But she has several town people and teachers also looking out for her as well. It is mostly the school that wants her to have someone with her at night but no one there willing to offer it though there are some that could. One teacher said anytime she has no one there at night she can come stay with them and another friend said the same thing but then a couple times when this was needed they were not home. So younger sister stayed though her husband was really upset with that as he wants her home. She is expecting a baby and she fell once early in pregnancy so he worries for her health. She and the baby are okay though. The other sister lives 45 miles away and married too but is there now for one week. I called Idaho legal aide they said she does not have to go live with her parents she can refuse and she can come here if she wants to. He said same thing no paperwork filed in court the alleged guardianship is null and void as it has be filed and approved by a judge and wasn't as her dad was afraid the court would make them wait another year. The Idaho court there would like nothing better than to put him in jail as he has done a lot of things that are shady and has had fines and cited for violence a couple of times and road rage. He knew the judge would not approve and also did know she could choose not to move with them given her age and senior year and her contract with the dental care and community service she has to fullfill for her braces. Which come off also in May.

Default Re: research paper topics for ethical issues in healthcare

Does the school have a social worker? Could she go into foster care in the town she lives in so she continue at the school? Has anyone talked to legal aid? I assume this is a small town; I am trying to think of an agency likely to be able to help. There are many more options in a big city.

1. Sponsored Links