Default Seller Broker Contract

My question involves real estate located in the State of: New York

In a listing agreement with a brokerage company (seller's broker), there is a clause that reads: "If you fail to close on the property, after a contract of sale is fully executed, then we shall be entitled to our full commission. "

The first question I have is- is this standard to have such a clause in this type of an agreement?

Second, I don't fully understand what "fail to close after contract of sale is fully executed" means. More precisely, does this include scenarios like a buyer is not approved for a loan, problems found with home inspection, a buyer not approved by the board (I am selling a co-op), etc. ? Or is it just limited to me backing out of the deal for one reason or another?

Many thanks in advance for your answer!

Default Re: Seller Broker Contract

Quote Quoting Toughcookie
    View Post
    In a listing agreement with a brokerage company (seller's broker), there is a clause that reads: "If you fail to close on the property, after a contract of sale is fully executed, then we shall be entitled to our full commission. "

The first question I have is- is this standard to have such a clause in this type of an agreement?
    A legally irrelevant question, but yes.

Quote Quoting Toughcookie
    View Post
    More precisely, does this include scenarios like a buyer is not approved for a loan, problems found with home inspection, a buyer not approved by the board (I am selling a co-op), etc. ? Or is it just limited to me backing out of the deal for one reason or another?
    The language you quoted says "If you fail to close." Therefore, it would not encompass failure by the buyer to go through with the sale.

1. Sponsored Links