Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Culver City California Red Light Camera Ticket, Not My Car

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I got a camera ticket (right turn on red). It was mailed to me as (clearly) the driver of my spouse's car, but I am NOT the registered owner (spouse is). Does anyone know what happens in that case? I have jury duty next week and don't know if the court checks potential jurors for outstanding tickets. I keep reading conflicting information that LA County will not pursue consequences, which Culver City is in, and just to ignore it. Others say CC is really strict and will pursue it, though I'm not sure how. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Culver City California Red Light Camera Ticket, Not My Car

Quote Quoting mannyonthastreetz
    View Post
    I got a camera ticket (right turn on red). It was mailed to me as (clearly) the driver of my spouse's car, but I am NOT the registered owner (spouse is). Does anyone know what happens in that case?
    Not really sure I understand the question. If it is clear from the photo that you were driving and ran the light, then pay the ticket or take traffic school.

View Post
    I have jury duty next week and don't know if they check such things.
    You having jury duty has nothing to do with your red light ticket. Also, who are "they"?

View Post
    I keep reading conflicting information that LA County will not pursue consequences, which Culver City is in, and just to ignore it. Others say CC is really strict and will pursue it, though I'm not sure how.
    Not sure what you're getting at or what "will not pursue consequences" might mean. Again, if you don't deny the crime, then pay the fine.

View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I got a camera ticket (right turn on red). It was mailed to me as (clearly) the driver of my spouse's car, but I am NOT the registered owner (spouse is). Does anyone know what happens in that case? I have jury duty next week and don't know if the court checks potential jurors for outstanding tickets. I keep reading conflicting information that LA County will not pursue consequences, which Culver City is in, and just to ignore it. Others say CC is really strict and will pursue it, though I'm not sure how. Thanks in advance.
    In Los Angeles County you can disregard red light camera citation, they will not pursue you. If you get a follow-up certified letter from them, do not accept it. Refuse it. If you do accept it then you are on the hook for the citation.

The LA Courts have neutered the police from prosecuting these citations, but be sure to not give them proof that you have been served.

Let them kick rocks, they can't do anything to you.

If they sent the cite to you and not to the registered owner, they clearly identified YOU as the driver.

What happens when they get a cite that does not match the R/O is they compare the image to other drivers in the residence. Clearly that is what you did.

Keep in mind that you ignore a citation at your own peril. Failure to respond can ultimately result in a suspended license and even a warrant for your arrest (though, not initially as an FTA based upon a mailed citation cannot result in an arrest).
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    If they sent the cite to you and not to the registered owner, they clearly identified YOU as the driver.

What happens when they get a cite that does not match the R/O is they compare the image to other drivers in the residence. Clearly that is what you did.

Keep in mind that you ignore a citation at your own peril. Failure to respond can ultimately result in a suspended license and even a warrant for your arrest (though, not initially as an FTA based upon a mailed citation cannot result in an arrest).
    I take it that you are either not aware of the Los Angeles Superior Court ruling on the enforcement of red light camera citations or you (and others) just don't care to advice folks on how to beat the police on one of their most lucrative cash cows.

Hmmm, Btw - Why didn't you tell me that I was wrong about LA Courts? It's not always what you say, rather what you do not say.

As in many things, there’s always “local knowledge.” CDWjava is 500 miles away from LA County while the TV stations and newspapers in LA County are in a good position to have local knowledge, and those that have been bold enuf to say something have told us that red light camera tickets from Beverly Hills, City of Commerce, Covina, Culver City, Hawthorne, the MTA, Montebello and West Hollywood can be ignored - so long as one resists the temptation to contact the court. How to find links to what TV and the papers have written? Do a search on red light camera ticket culver city and scroll down to the hits from the LAWeekly and NBC.

Quote Quoting Chuck77
    View Post
    I take it that you are either not aware of the Los Angeles Superior Court ruling on the enforcement of red light camera citations or you (and others) just don't care to advice folks on how to beat the police on one of their most lucrative cash cows.
    Oh, I'm very aware. I am also aware that it is NOT wise to tell people to ignore a legal document since that can lead to rather dire consequences. And since this POLICY of the court can change on a whim, and with declining court revenues due to fewer misdemeanors and infractions being filed and pursued, the courts have an incentive to reverse this decision and it could land a lot of people in very hot water if they heed bad advice.

Hmmm, Btw - Why didn't you tell me that I was wrong about LA Courts? It's not always what you say, rather what you do not say.
    Not sure what you're asking. If you're asking why I don't gleefully tell people to ignore legal process, see the reply above.

Quote Quoting BornYetAgain
    View Post
    As in many things, there’s always “local knowledge.” CDWjava is 500 miles away from LA County while the TV stations and newspapers in LA County are in a good position to have local knowledge, and those that have been bold enuf to say something have told us that red light camera tickets from Beverly Hills, City of Commerce, Covina, Culver City, Hawthorne, the MTA, Montebello and West Hollywood can be ignored - so long as one resists the temptation to contact the court. How to find links to what TV and the papers have written? Do a search on red light camera ticket culver city and scroll down to the hits from the LAWeekly and NBC.
    It's hardly a matter of "local knowledge" when the info is so widespread. But, it is poor advice to tell people to ignore a legal process that can have dire results. All because YOU might be willing to roll those dice does not mean that others are. Policies are whimsical and can change on a dime.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Oh, I'm very aware. I am also aware that it is NOT wise to tell people to ignore a legal document since that can lead to rather dire consequences. And since this POLICY of the court can change on a whim, and with declining court revenues due to fewer misdemeanors and infractions being filed and pursued, the courts have an incentive to reverse this decision and it could land a lot of people in very hot water if they heed bad advice.
    If the LA Court policy on this changed we would immediately know about it. Actually, the Courts and Media would likely broadcast that change far in advance of its implication as to expedite the willful paying of these citations in an effort to not clog the courts with failure to appears and warrants. So your above reason for not telling them does not hold water. Moreover, there are other legal ways to beat this same citation that you (and others) will not tell the OPs either.

Not sure what you're asking. If you're asking why I don't gleefully tell people to ignore legal process, see the reply above.
    Who said it would be "gleefully" given? You are unbiased, aren't you? Further, you would not be "ignoring the legal process." You would be informing the OPs OF the current legal process.

You are a good writer but sometimes very transparent with your unwillingness to help these people.

Would be interested to know what other legal ways there are to beat the citation that aren't being mentioned....

Thank you to all who responded, currently I am IGNORING this thing. $500 is absurd when in other states the fine for not stopping on a red to turn is like $50.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast