Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Murder/Kidnapping Conviction Due to False Confession

According the opinion of the Utah Supreme Court (State v. Met, 2016 UT 51) the defendant had blood on his jacket at the time he was arrested and that blood matched the victim's as did the blood in his basement apartment where her body was found.

Also the facts of the use of the confession were signifcantly different than our poster asserts.

Evidence has been presented, including quite a bit that was not available to the jury. If you feel confirmation bias is an issue then please use facts from the post to defend your opinion.

Of course the individuals who forced the false confession would avoid accountability. I would look for a way to encourage their cooperation.

As for "what possible benefit do you think the convicted defendant would derive from that", please read the thread so far. Do you have a better idea?

I have no relationship to anybody in this case as far as I know, but I am familiar with the plight of the Burmese Muslims, which the U.N. calls the most persecuted minority in the world. I was raised several thousand miles from Utah and live several thousand miles away from there currently. I am aware of just one person, and his wife, that I have met from Utah in recent years and that person I'm very sure had no connection to the case.

Regarding blood on the jacket, to copy from the reddit post
    "Regarding the jacket, a few issues.
    His clothes were tested immediately after his arrest and all of the blood on his clothes was found to be his own. This blood was either an old stain or was planted by somebody.
    The location etc of the blood stains is not consistent with the crime in any way.
    Look at Esar Met's comments about a supposed bloodstain on his shirt, a bloodstain which did not exist."

The only DNA found in the basement crime scene area belonged to 1) the victim, 2) one of the roommates and 3) an unknown male. No DNA from the accused was found in the area where all the blood was.

Regarding "Also the facts of the use of the confession were signifcantly different than our poster asserts. ", I made comments and tried to back up everything I said with facts that were supported by easily findable links. You are making an empty accusation, that you don't even articulate. Why don't you start by saying what you are referring to? I am not a professional researcher and it's quite possible I made a mistake in something but if you are claiming a mistake then why don't you say what it was?

Are you in a relationship with this individual? You are not using your head in this situation. This child was the victim.

Opinion of the appeal.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ut-supre...t/1755558.html

auvest, what are you attempting given the issues listed have already been appealed and the defendant lost? A defendant doesn’t get to rehash the same issues time and time again.

The evidence, the actual evidence, does not point to Esar Met being the killer.
    apparenrly the jury believed otherwise.

Why you continue to rent regardimg the confession is curious to me. The original confession was suppressed, was it not?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Are you in a relationship with this individual? You are not using your head in this situation. This child was the victim.
    Obviously the murder victim was a victim.

Putting an innocent person in jail for the murder does not do anything for the victim, it creates another victim.

I have never met the accused nor the victim nor anybody else involved in this case. I have some familiarity with the Rohingya issue.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Given you inability to listen and how your original post/rant went, you may not have any intention to but you probably will. I am going to report your posts so someone in an official capacity can tell you not to do what you are so hidebound to do DESPITE people who are here frequently telling you isn't allowed.
    At least people like you make it clear why so many people avoid helping victims of powerful people. Ask them to give you a medal for being so obedient.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Opinion of the appeal.

auvest, what are you attempting given the issues listed have already been appealed and the defendant lost? A defendant doesn’t get to rehash the same issues time and time again.

apparenrly the jury believed otherwise.

Why you continue to rent regardimg the confession is curious to me. The original confession was suppressed, was it not?
    Yes, the original confession was suppressed
    "The court concluded that the State could not use Met's testimony in its case-in-chief but authorized the use of Met's statements for impeachment purposes if Met chose to testify."

also note
    "Met next argues that the district court erred by ruling that the transcript of his police interview, though inadmissible for the State's case-in-chief, was admissible for impeachment purposes. While the transcript was not actually used at trial because Met declined to testify, Met contends that the court's allegedly erroneous decision tainted the proceedings by discouraging him from testifying."

You need to look at the confession in context with what the defense did. Esar Met wanted to testify, obviously. Why do you imagine he was yelling that he was not guilty when they brought him to plead guilty?

The key is that the confession was ostensibly suppressed by the defense.

Either the defense did not read it or they read it shallowly like many people seem to be doing.

The confession contains strong indications that he is not guilty. The evidence presented at trial contains trong evidence that he is not guilty and that one or more others are. If you would like to read summaries of the initial statements the roommates gave when they were arrested I can post and link.

The person obviously would be happy to testify. They are saying he would not but obviously he would be eager to testify.

The basic problem is that if this case is investigated properly a lot of people will lose their jobs. The misconduct was more serious than it might appear.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Exactly what do you imagine a message board can do, even if we take your assumptions for truth?
    Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand why something like this has to be done publicly. But it does.

Quote Quoting auvest
    View Post
    The key is that the confession was ostensibly suppressed by the defense.
    Do you know anything at all about US Criminal Law? Getting confessions suppressed is one the first things a good defense attorney does. Especially if the confession's veracity is in question. Letting it in is virtually never a good thing.

Quote Quoting auvest
    View Post
    Either the defense did not read it or they read it shallowly like many people seem to be doing.
    It was him confessing to a crime he claims he didn't commit. That is all they needed to know.

Quote Quoting auvest
    View Post
    I can post and link.
    No, absolutely not. You are using arguing with people here to backdoor do what you were told not to do.

Quote Quoting auvest
    View Post
    The basic problem is that if this case is investigated properly a lot of people will lose their jobs. The misconduct was more serious than it might appear.
    No, they won't.

Quote Quoting auvest
    View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand why something like this has to be done publicly. But it does.
    So make your own website about it. Find a site that is intended for that. This one IS NOT.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2