Default Can You Refuse to Give Bank Statements to the SSA After Being on SSI for a Few Years

My question directly is, what is the worst that could happen of I refuse to provide bank statement my caseworker while I am trying to voluntarily end my SSI?

I called to voluntarily to end our SSI because are now financially over our asset amount in our bank account as of a few days ago due to an inheritance.

There are some issues I can see with them viewing my bank account and me doing some things wrongly in the past that I did not mean with Mal intent, nevertheless, I was not legally in the right in doing so.

So, regardless of whether or not I have done Social Security morally wrong or what I *should* do, I really just want to know if anyone knows what might happen if I decline giving them my bank statements?

Can they subpoena them?
    Will I have to go to court?
    Or will they simpy block me from getting SSI ever again?

If we need to we can hire legal counsel.

Thank you to anyone who is reading.

Default Re: Can I Refuse to Give Bank Statements to SSI After Being on SSI for a Few Years

They don't have to subpoena them. If they believe that they information for a period in which you were receiving benefits and you fail to provide that information, they will just determine that they overpaid you and seek collections of the money in dispute. Your lawyer won't help much then other than to provide the information they request and show you were not ineligible.

Default Re: Can I Refuse to Give Bank Statements to SSI After Being on SSI for a Few Years

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    They don't have to subpoena them. If they believe that they information for a period in which you were receiving benefits and you fail to provide that information, they will just determine that they overpaid you and seek collections of the money in dispute. Your lawyer won't help much then other than to provide the information they request and show you were not ineligible.
    Thank you very much for your reply. That makes sense. What if they were not suspicious of any incidences, which I believe they are not (other than being curious of this inheritance from days ago) and I still declined to show them my records?

Could they subpoena on just a feeling of suspicion with no data on their end to back that up?

I doubt they have any such curiosity. Consult your alleged lawyer if you intend to not comply with the law. This isn't the "how can I break the law and get away with it" forum.

They will view it suspicious. If you need SSI in the future. You might have problems being approved on financial. Even if you have no income or resources. Do not count on them not finding out what you are trying to hide.

You also need to inform other government programs you receive assistance from. Depending on the proof you have verifying the date,you received your inheritance. You might have to repay benefits you received you were not eligible for.

If you are receiving SSI, you already gave them authorization to request your bank records electronically. It is a financial permission question. If answered no, you are automatically denied. When you answer yes, the electronic bank verification system can be accessed. First of the month bank balances are transferred from the bank directly to the SSI record. Statements are not obtained, just first of the month balances. Sometimes the electronic system responds with bank information just hours after requested. But usually it takes overnight.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0500601110#a

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501140200

It is not a matter of voluntarily terminating SSI. The month you received this inheritance over $2000 you became ineligible for SSI. Nothing voluntary about it.

But I am curious about just what activity you were hiding for how many months using your bank account. Deposits from other income sources? Other people using your bank account to park their money? Should SSI have been stopped or reduced earlier months and now you are trying to hide whatever you did?

After 12 months of ineligibility, which would be different than 12 months of no checks, you would have to file a new claim to be reinstated. Is this inheritance sufficient to support you the rest of your life? Or is the other hidden activity going to help support you? If you have an SSI overpayment and do not pay it, it does not go away. It will be collected from other federal payments, like tax refunds or retirement Social Security. some day.

Oh, and hiding income and resource information from SSI is not just a moral issue. If you had unreported income or resources and continue to hide it, you have actually committed a crime, committed fraud against the US government. This is a legal issue. The fact that the vast majority of SSI recipients who hide information are not prosecuted doesn't negate the fact that it is a crime. When you are driving, if you always go over the speed limit or only go over the speed limit once in a while, you can get a citation at any time, even if everyone around you was driving faster than you or you only did it this once. If you do read the case histories at the SSA OIG web site, you will see that some people are prosecuted for SSA fraud.

1. Sponsored Links