Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lawn Darts Jarts

I have a couple of sets of lawn darts from the late 60s. I know they have been banned from sale since 86 I believe. Private ownership is fine and use by adults is fine selling is not. What about parts? If I disassemble the jarts and sell the heads apart from the rest is that legal?

Default Re: Lawn Darts Jarts

The Wikipedia article for lawn darts states the following: "It is possible to import parts of a lawn dart – plastic flights, metal bodies, and steel spigots – as well as a complete set of replacement parts to repair damaged lawn darts, into the U.S. and Canada. However, fully assembled individual darts, sets, and kits are banned from entry by American and Canadian customs authorities."

"Possible" and "legal" are obviously different things.

Beyond that, I doubt anyone here has any information about what you can and cannot legally do with a lawfully owned set of lawn darts beyond what you can discover by googling the subject.

Federal law prohibits the sale of hazardous toys. There's no apparent exception for you selling it disassembled. You won't weasel around the ban that way.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Federal law prohibits the sale of hazardous toys. There's no apparent exception for you selling it disassembled. You won't weasel around the ban that way.
    You are the douche who keeps trolling this and other subjects. I remember your BS on this an another issue. LMAO. Get a life dude. You may get away with this crap with some 5yo but save your world is falling crap. Also there is a difference between selling one auction for box, flights and rings and another for the heads and selling the whole set at once as a kit. If the same person bids on both that is their thing. Its like a gun shop selling an AR15 receiver and someone buying that then putting a separately purchased SBR upper without the tax stamp, Now if the gun shop sold an AR15 lower dedicated as a rifle with the SBR upper they would be in violation of the law. Selling gas and then selling a coke bottle is not selling Molotov cocktails.

You would make a better point if you could avoid the profane ad hominem attacks. This is NOT analogous to the receiver vs. rest of the AR. The receiver has a statutory identity of the gun under the laws that restrict the sales of such. An AR isn't covered by a hazardous material/toy recall, whereas the lawn darts are. And you clearly don't know squat about firearms laws either. An AR15 lower or the entire weapon doesn't require a tax stamp (illegal modifications such as adding the full auto seer or shortening the barrel are another story). Again coke bottles and gasoline are not subject to the same rules that recalled and hazardous materials are under title 15.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You would make a better point if you could avoid the profane ad hominem attacks. This is NOT analogous to the receiver vs. rest of the AR. The receiver has a statutory identity of the gun under the laws that restrict the sales of such. An AR isn't covered by a hazardous material/toy recall, whereas the lawn darts are. And you clearly don't know squat about firearms laws either. An AR15 lower or the entire weapon doesn't require a tax stamp (illegal modifications such as adding the full auto seer or shortening the barrel are another story). Again coke bottles and gasoline are not subject to the same rules that recalled and hazardous materials are under title 15.
    You missed the point but I guess that is nothing new. A gun as far as ATF is concerned is the receiver. I will draw it out in crayon for you, I was making a connection between selling parts and assembling something and selling it. An AR15 receiver is either dedicated as a rifle or a pistol. If its a rifle and one puts a less than 16 inch barrel on it its a SBR and subject to a tax stamp as such. If its a pistol and you put a shoulder stock on it its no illegal as a SBR or AOW. Selling them as a kit all together vs selling them piece by piece.

Its hard to not use ad hominem attacks when you are consistently condescending and dogmatic. Selling a set of jarts complete is different from selling them taken apart as a kit which is different from selling them separately as individual parts in say an eBay auction for head for one and another for flights and another for the box. Unless the parts them-self are banned then one should be able to sell the as individual pieces. Unless you can show me the law that says a ring or a box or a flight is hazardous material you are blowing smoke.

Part of the hazardous act. If repairs to or changes in the article or substance may be made so that it will not be a banned hazardous substance, to make such repairs or changes.
    "However, some companies have reportedly worked around the ban by selling the dart’s two parts (the metal tips and the plastic fins) separately. " https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/di...wn-dart-sales/

Quote Quoting wildthing
    View Post
    Its hard to not use ad hominem attacks when you are consistently condescending and dogmatic.
    No, it's not hard at all. You ignore that facet of the response and respond in an adult manner back.

It should also be noted that the company referenced in that snopes link no longer exists that I can find. There are companies that do sell "legal lawn darts" but do so by making changes for safety including not having pointed tips like the older ones.

Still no answer to selling them as parts separately. I find nothing that seems to point to it being illegal. I would think taking them apart and selling each part as an individual auction or sale on eBay and Etsy would be fine. If someone buys up all the parts and puts them together they have "broken the law?" I know selling the box and rings and fins all in one group would be fine. Taking apart the head and the rods and selling them separately I see no issue. So unless someone can show me where its illegal to do so I will proceed. No not Tony. I have 5 sets of original 69 jarts in the box.

The item is a "recalled" item under the consumer rules. It's illegal to sell it in whole or in part. Went around this with a recalled coffee maker a whle back. People tried to perform the same dodge claiming they didn't include the dangerous part (part of the glass carafe), but the authorities didn't buy it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast