Default When Can You Tell Your Ex- that a Pet or Property is Abandoned

My question involves personal property located in the State of: FL

I broke up with my ex GF shortly after she left FL in early December to go back to PA. She says that she doesn't have money to drive back to FL and back for her things and that I legally have to give her money for the trip before I can declare her property abandoned.

I put her things in a locked and gated storage unit and told her I would pay storage for one month (so she has until February). After that I would consider it abandoned and dispose of it unless she made arrangements to have it picked up or paid for storage.

Now the dog. I work close to 60 hours a week and am away on weekends and cannot take care of the dog. I employ dog walkers and board the dog in a single family home. I also pay for all of his needs and recently a $1k medical bill. I told her that if she doesn't pick up her dog in 15 days I would consider him abandoned and put him up for adoption or surrender him to a shelter if unsuccessful.

She just said she is calling the police and saying that I stole her dog and boarded him a single family home without her permission.

A few questions:

Do I need to hang on to her things longer than the time frame I gave?
    What about the dog? I can't take care of him.
    What would you do differently or the same in my situation to protect yourself?

Default Re: Interstate Break Up, Dog, and Abandoned Property

Did you do anything at all that could be considered to be hindering her getting her dog and her possessions? You stated that YOU broke up with HER after she left for PA. Was she expecting it to be a visit to PA and you turned it into a breakup?

We've known each other for three years. Even when I found out she cheated on me and that I wasn't the father to her now 15 month old toddler, I tried making it work. But when she came from PA in October I noticed that she wasn't the same person I knew a year before then. She got involuntarily admitted to a mental hospital by the police 4 times in less than three months and had delusional conspiracy theories about how I was working with Russia and China to stalk her every move. Our best guess is that prescription drug abuse permanently changed her brain. Then the state got involved and wanted to take her toddler away but her family in PA intervened and now there is a custody battle over her son. I want no part in any of this anymore so I broke up with her. I had a court mandated paternity test done proving I"m not the father and I was never on the birth certificate, another man is.

Her parents won't give her money because they think she'll use it for drugs, and I am not giving her a single cent her conduct has already lost many thousands of dollars and threatened my job. Does that constitute hindering her getting her dog and her possessions? I hope not.

She's wrong about you having to pay for her to travel (and given her history, it sounds like she's looking for drug money).

Check out the FL statutes, especially section 715.104:
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...0715/0715.html

For a layman's breakdown of what you need to do, google "Handling a Tenant's Abandoned Property in Florida" for a really good nolo article. It has links to templates, as well as an explanation of when you must auction off abandoned property and what do to with those proceeds.

Quote Quoting Life_Restart_Button
    View Post
    We've known each other for three years. Even when I found out she cheated on me and that I wasn't the father to her now 15 month old toddler, I tried making it work. But when she came from PA in October I noticed that she wasn't the same person I knew a year before then. She got involuntarily admitted to a mental hospital by the police 4 times in less than three months and had delusional conspiracy theories about how I was working with Russia and China to stalk her every move. Our best guess is that prescription drug abuse permanently changed her brain. Then the state got involved and wanted to take her toddler away but her family in PA intervened and now there is a custody battle over her son. I want no part in any of this anymore so I broke up with her. I had a court mandated paternity test done proving I"m not the father and I was never on the birth certificate, another man is.

Her parents won't give her money because they think she'll use it for drugs, and I am not giving her a single cent her conduct has already lost many thousands of dollars and threatened my job. Does that constitute hindering her getting her dog and her possessions? I hope not.
    I am going to be honest with you. If I were in your shoes and I could afford it, I would simply ship her belongings and her dog to her. As long as you control her stuff, you will be dealing with drama, and if you dispose of her stuff and her dog you will be dealing with other drama. This sounds like a situation that you need to be done with, and the best way to do that is to get her stuff to her ASAP and be done with her.

View Post
    Do I need to hang on to her things longer than the time frame I gave?
    While this isn't a landlord-tenant situation, the statute linked by "llworking" is may be a good guide, but you won't get any legal protection from that statute as a non-landlord.
    View Post
    What about the dog? I can't take care of him.
    The dog isn't any different than any other piece of property.

1. Sponsored Links