Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: 8 Year Old Boy Was Taking Seroquel and Got Tardive Dyskinesia, Do I Have a Lawsui

Unfortunately, few patients and parents completely read the information that comes with each prescription. They also do not do their own research. It is always best to ask the pharmacist for the insert that comes with each container from the manufacturer. Or find a PDR and look up the medications.

Default Re: 8 Year Old Boy Was Taking Seroquel and Got Tardive Dyskinesia, Do I Have a Lawsui

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Unfortunately, few patients and parents completely read the information that comes with each prescription. They also do not do their own research. It is always best to ask the pharmacist for the insert that comes with each container from the manufacturer. Or find a PDR and look up the medications.
    And if he was on this medication long-term, they received the disclosure sheet every time it was refilled. It wasn't just a one-time disclosure.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Doctors do not know as much about medications as patients and parents think they do. Parents should always verified with the manufacturers the medications are recommended for patients the age of their children.

Put medication name +accessdata.fda.gov in google. The accessdata.fda.gov links will take you to the information provided by the manufacturers.

The severe risks are provided in the information you receive from your pharmacy each time a prescription is filled. It is your responsibility to read it and question it. It is not the doctors or pharmacists responsibly to inform you.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Atwood
    View Post
    I'll have to look and see if we still have the sheets. We've always just trusted the psychologist . I guess I should of been more alert on that part. And yes I agree with all the meds. He started taking these drugs at 5 years old.
    Psychologist's cannot prescribe meds, that requires someone with an MD or an ARNP. Psychiatrist's are usually who would oversee meds, especially for one so young as your son as it is uncommon to treat children with these medications these days as mental illness can be difficult to treat in children and their brain chemistry is, shall we say...touchy?

So, I presume that you child is being treated by a psychiatrist AND a psychologist? If so, what does the psychiatrist have to say about all of this?

All of the disclosures for side effects are listed in the paperwork that would come with every initial prescription and refill. That you aren't reading it is, alas, on you. The information is being provided.

All of this said, the initial responses are the best, take the records to a med mal attorney.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

There are a small number of states where psychologists can write prescriptions. Although in most states a psychiatrist or primary care physician prescribes medications suggested by psychologists.

I am very surprised any doctor would prescribe these medications to a child this young.

Yeah he is working both a psychologist and psychiatrist. Yeah I been googling these drugs today and I see Abilify is 6 to 10 years old and Seroquel is 10 to 17 years of age hmmmm

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    There are a small number of states where psychologists can write prescriptions. Although in most states a psychiatrist or primary care physician prescribes medications suggested by psychologists.

I am very surprised any doctor would prescribe these medications to a child this young.
    I find the idea of a psychologist writing prescriptions to be rather alarming as they are not required to have any medical training. At all...at least in most states.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    I find the idea of a psychologist writing prescriptions to be rather alarming as they are not required to have any medical training. At all...at least in most states.
    The states that allow psychologists to write prescriptions. Do require certain education and training.

New Mexico, Louisiana, Illinois, Iowa and Idaho allow psychologists to write certain prescriptions.

https://www.apa.org/news/press/relea...dications.aspx

https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/ama-a...ibing-2017.pdf

Thanks I'll check them out

Yeah the wife say she's an MD psychiatrist

Quote Quoting Atwood
    View Post
    Thanks I'll check them out

Yeah the wife say she's an MD psychiatrist
    Go to the link below to find out if the wife is certified. Even if she is certified. You might want to consider new doctors to treat your child.

www.certificationmatters.org

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast