Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What to Do if Your Bank Account is Frozen

My question involves personal finance in the State of: California.

So...I tried to access my bank account, and found out today that it is frozen, due to my being the victim of a bank fraud scam. I still have bills that need to be paid this month, as the investigation by the bank will take at least 30 days. Should I start another bank account as a temporary measure during this time? Thanks!

Default Re: Bank Account Frozen

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    Should I start another bank account as a temporary measure during this time?
    Yes.

And do it at some other bank (not just some other branch).

It's always wise to have separate accounts in separate banks anyway.

Since the frozen account is the only one I have, how should I handle paying setup fees, if there are any?

Walk into a branch with cash.

I have a check for $300. How should I get it cashed?

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    I have a check for $300. How should I get it cashed?
    Use the check as your first deposit to the new account. Or, in the alternate go to a check cashing place... but the fees will be high there.

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    My question involves personal finance in the State of: California.

So...I tried to access my bank account, and found out today that it is frozen, due to my being the victim of a bank fraud scam. I still have bills that need to be paid this month, as the investigation by the bank will take at least 30 days. Should I start another bank account as a temporary measure during this time? Thanks!
    Just wondering. Do you mean credit card or ATM fraud? Of did someone actually penetrate the firewall or security system of your bank and directly access your bank account?

So, the short version.

Back in early September, I was looking for work, being the penniless student I am, because I was trying to get money for my attorney for my hit-and-run citation. I applied online for an "errand runner" position; I got a call from someone who claimed to be a real estate investor who did Bitcoin on the side, who offered me the position for him, and I accepted. He did ask for my banking information (for payment and everything.) Starting from October and going into December, I would do three jobs for him per week, with money being deposited into my account for that purpose, which usually consistently involved paying his clients, way more often than not. I told him I'd be out of town (for my citation) on December 19, and have had no further contact.

A week ago, I got a check from my folks as a Christmas present. I was going to deposit it when I couldn't log into my bank. I called them, and they told me to call back Monday, which I did. I then got passed over to another department, where, when asked about deposits into my account, I told them all the above, and they said that what happened is a rather common scam, and that my account would be frozen while they looked into it; they also said to file a police report.

It's rather hard to believe, I know, but it's true. Where should I go from here?

Did you file a police report?

I'd be concerned there might be entry in CHEX for you that may not be cleared up until the current bank finishes their investigation. If so, you may have difficulty getting another account right at the moment. Nothing to lose by trying though.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Did you file a police report?

I'd be concerned there might be entry in CHEX for you that may not be cleared up until the current bank finishes their investigation. If so, you may have difficulty getting another account right at the moment. Nothing to lose by trying though.
    Should I file a report?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast