Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Are Illuminated Lyft Vehicle Signs Legal

My question involves a violation in the state of: California

Several times in the past year I thought a police car was behind me, so I pulled over to the right. Each time it was not a cop, but a Lyft car. Stupid me. The Lyft cars in our area have a prominent red to purple light on the front dashboard facing forward so it's easily seen in a rear view mirror . Is this legal and acceptable? Uber cars don't have this light. Is there a rule about this? No other cars except police and fire have a red or reddish color facing the front of their vehicle.

Default Re: Is Lyft Violating the Codes Here in California?

Yes, it's pinkish and facing to the front. While it is possibly a violation of VC 25950, I know of no citations being issued for it. Probably because the light is not actually RED, but sort of a pinkish tint. Given the fact that there is white "LYFT" lettering in the middle of the light, I have never once considered it to be a law enforcement vehicle.

You are certainly free to complain to your local police department about the issue if you choose, There's no saying what they might do about it, but I'm suspecting nothing.

It appears you will have to just learn to discern the difference in the lights.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Are you talking about this light often put on the dash of Lyft cars?

I would characterize that light as either pink or perhaps violet depending on the lighting. In any event, that light does not violate any California law that bars private vehicle displays of police or fire vehicle emergency lights.

YES! Those are the lights

Just found this in the California code: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=25950.

Sure seems like those Lyft lights are violating this section.

BTW, the lights vary from red to purple, and are bright enough that the four letters are hard to discern.

==========================

ARTICLE 15. Light Restrictions and Mounting [25950 - 25952] ( Article 15 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination. Unless provided otherwise, the color of lamps and reflectors upon a vehicle shall be as follows:
    (a) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from in front of a vehicle, shall be white or yellow, except as follows:
    (1) Rear side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show red to the front.
    (2) The color of foglamps described in Section 24403 may be in the color spectrum from white to yellow.
    (3) An illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall emit radiation predominantly in the infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Any incidental visible light projecting to the front of the vehicle shall be predominantly yellow to white. Any incidental visible light projecting to the rear of the vehicle shall be predominantly red. Any incidental visible light from an illuminating device, as permitted under Section 24255, shall not resemble any other required or permitted lighting device or official traffic control device.
    (b) The emitted light from all lamps and the reflected light from all reflectors, visible from the rear of a vehicle, shall be red except as follows:
    (1) Stoplamps on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1979, may show yellow to the rear.
    (2) Turn signal lamps may show yellow to the rear.
    (3) Front side marker lamps required by Section 25100 may show yellow to the rear.
    (4) Backup lamps shall show white to the rear.
    (5) The rearward facing portion of a front-mounted double-faced turn signal lamp may show amber to the rear while the headlamps or parking lamps are lighted, if the intensity of the light emitted is not greater than the parking lamps and the turn signal function is not impaired.
    (6) A reflector meeting the requirements of, and installed in accordance with, Section 24611 shall be red or white, or both.
    (c) All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle, except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color. Taillamps, stoplamps, and turn signal lamps that are visible to the rear may be white when unlighted on vehicles manufactured before January 1, 1974.
    (Amended by Stats. 2004, Ch. 198, Sec. 4. Effective January 1, 2005.)

Quote Quoting Lucubrate
    View Post
    YES! Those are the lights

Just found this in the California code: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...H§ionNum=25950.

Sure seems like those Lyft lights are violating this section.

BTW, the lights vary from red to purple, and are bright enough that the four letters are hard to discern.
    Yep. That's the section I referred to earlier. There are many lights that appear to look a particular color that courts have determined NOT to be, halogen headlights among them. Halogen lights are not blue, and Lyft lights are not red. As I mentioned, you can call and ask to talk to the local police, but unless the local courts are of the opinion that light in that spectrum is "red", it will not be enforced.

There is no way you can compel the local police to interpret the Lyft lights as unlawful unless they choose to decide it is so and test it in court. I seriously doubt that this will happen, but, you can always ask them.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting Lucubrate
    View Post
    This section applies to the color of lamps and to any reflector exhibiting or reflecting perceptible light of 0.05 candela or more per foot-candle of incident illumination.
    Those Lyft lights are not very bright. Do they meet or exceed the brightness specified in this section? Unless they do, this restriction would not apply.

It is illegal in PA so should be illegal in other states also.

http://www.sungazette.com/news/top-n...s-assumptions/

Quote Quoting acai
    View Post
    It is illegal in PA so should be illegal in other states also.

http://www.sungazette.com/news/top-n...s-assumptions/
    Yes, because what PA thinks should automatically apply to the rest of the nation as they are the bellweather for what should or shouldn't be allowed. I can see lyft taking action to get their signs legalized as they are not inappropriate.

Police are human too and can be beaten down and frustrated when enough people want to break a certain law. Example: Uncovered super bright halogen lights mounted above the cab of a truck or off-road vehicle have been illegal for as long as I can remember. I am not aware of that code changing, yet the police do not enforce it anymore. Example 2: Heavily tinted windows. The police used to enforce that code but have since, in large part, given up. They also seem to have given up on the blue tinted headlights and super-bright headlights that shine upward into oncoming motorists eyes.

There are only so many police on the street and they pick their battles too. If a green turn signal is illegal, a reddish light mounted above the headlights that obstructs the driver's view through the windshield would be illegal too. You can talk code violation all you want, but good luck getting the police to enforce it if there is little harm being done, is a new social trend and the complaints are minimal.

Looks like I've offended some Lyft drivers.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast