Default Trademarking My Business Name

Hi

As stated in another thread, I wish to trademark my business name. My business is registered with the State Of CT, and is a single-member LLC. The business is the composition, licensing, and publishing of original music (that I write).

I was planning on filling out the TEAS Plus form and would like to use the following term for Goods and Services:

Composition, Licensing and Publishing Of Original Music

So, I sent a request to have this term added to the database ID Manual, as I don't feel that any other term fits 100%.

That request was refused, based on the fact that "it is too overbroad, in that it includes services in multiple classes."

Ok, I kinda understand that, but I am a little confused as to where to go with this.

There are two other terms that fit:

Music composition for others
    Music composition services

- but if I use one of those, that seems to only cover part of what my company will do.

Furthermore, if I do a TM search for a competitor's name, this is what is listed under G&S:

Sound recordings, namely, prerecorded digitally formatted audio discs, phonograph records, analog audio tapes and digital audio tapes, all featuring music; video recordings, namely, prerecorded digital video discs, analog video tapes, digital video tapes and laser discs, all featuring music video and music documentary; downloadable sound and video recordings featuring music and musical performances; downloadable digital music provided from the Internet.

Not sure where that (or something similar) would go?

Or do you actually have to TM your name separately for diff G&S, even tho they are similar?

Would like to hear from someone who has experience with this. I don't mind hiring an atty, but I don't think that's necessary just to answer these Qs.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Trademarking My Business Name

If you want to register the mark for more than one class, you may do so. The issue becomes one of fees.

If you choose not to seek protection under a particular class, you will not benefit from federal trademark protection if you later allege a violation of the mark within that class.

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    As stated in another thread, I wish to trademark my business name.
    Why are you starting a new thread when a thread already exists?

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    As stated in another thread, I wish to trademark my business name.
    The rest of your post sounds like a request for legal advice, so I'll refer you to the disclaimer at the bottom of the page and suggest you consult with a local trademark attorney:

"Notice: Information provided in the forum is not intended to substitute for professional advice, including but not limited to professional legal advice. If you submit a question or comment it is assumed that you are interested in soliciting, receiving or giving general information and not legal advice. Laws vary by state, and the laws described in this forum may be different in your state or may have been changed since the information was posted. The legal help offered in this forum comes from volunteers who may not have any formal legal training or knowledge, and all information should be confirmed with a qualified legal professional. All information is made available on an "as is" basis. You should accept legal advice only from a licensed legal professional with whom you have an attorney-client relationship. Use of this forum is subject to the ExpertLaw terms of use."

Why are you starting a new thread when a thread already exists?

B/c this is a bit different, and I wasnt sure it proper to continue in that thread.

Also, I am not sure how it helps me to quote forum rules here?

Quote Quoting riffwraith
    View Post
    Also, I am not sure how it helps me to quote forum rules here?
    If nothing else, it educates you. As mentioned in my prior response, your post sounds like a request for legal advice. The disclaimer explains that you cannot properly obtain legal advice here.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    If nothing else, it educates you. As mentioned in my prior response, your post sounds like a request for legal advice. The disclaimer explains that you cannot properly obtain legal advice here.
    There really is nothing in my op that seeks legal advice. Unless you want to call almost every other Q on this forum a request for legal advice.

1. Sponsored Links