Default How to Establish Paternity from a Deceased Parent

My question involves paternity law for the State of: If we were never married & the father did not sign the birth cert, therefore was not listed as the father and he passed away 3 mos ago (although an autopsy was done, but his extended family had him cremated), how can I establish paternity in order to legally list him on the birth certificate so that I can apply for SS survivors benefits for our child?

Default Re: How to Establish Paternity from a Deceased Parent

Quote Quoting Mdavis71
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: If we were never married & the father did not sign the birth cert, therefore was not listed as the father and he passed away 3 mos ago (although an autopsy was done, but his extended family had him cremated), how can I establish paternity in order to legally list him on the birth certificate so that I can apply for SS survivors benefits for our child?
    You can try going to route of a close family member DNA test. His family would have to cooperate for that.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You can try going to route of a close family member DNA test. His family would have to cooperate for that.
    IF ordered by a judge.

Quote Quoting jumanji
    View Post
    IF ordered by a judge.
    I think ll was trying to say it would require the family being cooperative which families aren't always depending on the overall situation, as opposed to having to be cooperative.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    I think ll was trying to say it would require the family being cooperative which families aren't always depending on the overall situation, as opposed to having to be cooperative.
    Gotcha - thanks for that.

Are you sure the father paid in enough for there to be benefits for the child ? If the father did not pay in enough. It will not matter if he is the father. The children will not be eligible for benefits

1. Sponsored Links