Default How to Get a Traffic Sign Added to an Intersection

My question involves a traffic question from the state of: North Carolina

So I was involved in an accident about a month ago on a busy intersection. I was attempting to make a u-turn, and realized when I pulled up to it that the turn was extremely narrow, and attempted it from the right turning lane, and you can see how well that turned out. I was talking with some of my friends and family and they complained about the u-turn being quite tight as well. I was wondering what kind of process I could go through to take some kind of action to improve the condition of the u-turn by either having a no u-turn sign or extending the curb, who could I contact regarding that?

Default Re: How to Bring About Adding a Traffic Sign

I've actually found the NCDOT to be very resposive. You can contact them here...https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/contact/Pages/default.aspx

Quote Quoting CoolMan1337
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic question from the state of: North Carolina

So I was involved in an accident about a month ago on a busy intersection. I was attempting to make a u-turn, and realized when I pulled up to it that the turn was extremely narrow, and attempted it from the right turning lane, and you can see how well that turned out. I was talking with some of my friends and family and they complained about the u-turn being quite tight as well. I was wondering what kind of process I could go through to take some kind of action to improve the condition of the u-turn by either having a no u-turn sign or extending the curb, who could I contact regarding that?
    Contact your local chief of police or the municipal engineer about the problem. They both can get it done faster then you in dealing with the NCDOT.

Thanks, you guys!

Much of NC doesn't have a "police" department, let alone a "chief of police." The State Highway Patrol has responsibility for almost all the public roads in NC.

exactly...our town is covered via our county's sheriff's department and the county/NCDOT take care of roads.....

(and just going to vent with some of my NC peeps, but why oh why does the NC traffic law state that U-turns at a green light must yield to those turning right on red - when the U-turner has the ROW if they were going straight or left? I am from TX originally and U-turns on the main thoroughfare always had the ROW if they had a green light).

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Much of NC doesn't have a "police" department, let alone a "chief of police." The State Highway Patrol has responsibility for almost all the public roads in NC.
    Then they due business with the state highway patrol. The point being that working with whatever the jurisdiction is, is better than trying to deal width NCDOT directly.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Then they due business with the state highway patrol. The point being that working with whatever the jurisdiction is, is better than trying to deal width NCDOT directly.
    The jurisdiction is the STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA most likely, and NCDOT is the agency to deal with AND I've had good experience discussing road changes and improvements with the NCDOT via the link I discussed.
    But sure, go deal with the overworked highway patrol units if you like.

They've added several annoying stop signs in my neighborhood.... each one has a memorial to someone there. So I guess that's what it takes to get a traffic sign.

1. Sponsored Links