Default Financial Responsibility for a Fiancée You Bring to the United States

I got into a deep conversation tonight with a family member about if I brought a lady who I been talking to online from the Flippians for the past two years.The family member said if I brought her here that they seen on a TV Show “90 Day Fiance” that if it didn’t work out between us that I would be responceable for her here or stuck with her here for 10 years per what they seen on the TV Show...My question is....Is this true?

Default Re: If I Brought a Lady from the Flippines to the United States

Quote Quoting Don Jones
    View Post
    I got into a deep conversation tonight with a family member about if I brought a lady who I been talking to online from the Flippians for the past two years.The family member said if I brought her here that they seen on a TV Show “90 Day Fiance” that if it didn’t work out between us that I would be responceable for her here or stuck with her here for 10 years per what they seen on the TV Show...My question is....Is this true?
    It depends on the visa program she uses to enter the country and whether you sponsor her for it. In general when you sponsor a foreign person in the U.S. you are responsible for supporting them since they are not eligible to work. I'd strongly recommend you consult an immigration attorney before bringing her here. It is well known that there are some foreign persons who will enter into a marriage with a U.S. citizen just to get in the country and get a green card, and then dump the citizen after, leaving the citizen to hold the bag. This is particularly common with persons from Russia, the Philippines, and other Asian nations.

Thanks Taxing Matters...Honestly I’ve been very cautions about it all and asked key questions to her just to see her reaction for example “Do you need anything here in the United States that I can mail to you? Or do you need any money?...and every time I get a No I don’t need anything.

Quote Quoting Don Jones
    View Post
    every time I get a No I don’t need anything.
    That's how the scam works.

They make you think they are perfect. But when they get here, it's over.

OP, if you want to bring her over to the US, you need to go to where she is first and spend a whole lot of time with her (like several weeks at least). Then you need to decide whether or not you want to bring her to the US - based on the in-person time you've spent with her.

Thanks for everyone's feed back...I’ll be going there soon and honestly I’ll be very observant and play it by ear.

If anyone has anyone has any advise or pointers or Red Flags that I should be looking out for please feel free to comment ...

If you have to fill out an I-864 don't go through with bringing her to the US.

1. Sponsored Links