Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Creditors Keep a Record of Your SSN Against Your Wishes

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Oklahoma but could be Federal law

Not sure if this is the correct category but I'm curious as the legality of hospitals, doctor offices, admin offices of healthcare etc to possess a patients social security number and other private data assuming the patient released it?
    Do they really have the legal authority to not remove it from their databases if requested?

Default Re: Privacy of Your Ssn

The federal law controlling the release of medical information is called HIPAA. This would include SSN. It however does not given patients the right to order the medical providers to destroy THEIR files.

I read that HIPAA gives me the following rights:
    add corrections to my medical file, submit a statement of disagreement and when and why info was shared.
    I think amending a ssn to all zeros isn't destroying anything but adding 'corrections' as one could interpret that reading. Who says you can't request ALL of your records destroyed, again it's your records not theirs. It may be data in their database but its your info so they don't have rights to do whatever they want with it or share it with whomever. I'd walk a lil more gingerly there big foot.

Quote Quoting bvillebud
    View Post
    Who says you can't request ALL of your records destroyed, again it's your records not theirs.
    You can ask all day long but there is no way to force them to do it. The records are the property of the provider or institution that created them, not you.

Quote Quoting bvillebud
    View Post
    I'd walk a lil more gingerly there big foot.
    Given "big foot" was legally correct, maybe you need to watch your step small foot.

Changing your SSN to 000-00-000 is not a correction.

It is information about you but it is virtually all created by the Dr and his or staff.

The law and your permission say what they can do with it and whom they can share it with.

and realize that many computer systems require a unique SSN for each record and it is one of the major id fields that is used to find your information in the future should it be needed. You can change names, addresses, health insurance carrier/ID, but your SSN is and will stay consistent.

Quote Quoting hr for me
    View Post
    and realize that many computer systems require a unique SSN for each record and it is one of the major id fields that is used to find your information in the future should it be needed. You can change names, addresses, health insurance carrier/ID, but your SSN is and will stay consistent.
    While I don't agree with OP's rant, the provider could set up a system that generates a unique identifier without using the patient's SSN. That way the patient's history could be tracked without endangering their identity when the provider's systems are compromised. And yes, odds are it is when and not if.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    While I don't agree with OP's rant, the provider could set up a system that generates a unique identifier without using the patient's SSN. That way the patient's history could be tracked without endangering their identity when the provider's systems are compromised. And yes, odds are it is when and not if.
    While my Dr has my SSN, the unique if that they ask me for when I walk up to the reception desk is my DOB and 4 numbers that I assume were random. When I forget the 4 additional digits it isn't a problem they just ask my last name.

Quote Quoting bvillebud
    View Post

Do they really have the legal authority to not remove it from their databases if requested?
    Yes.

And the reason that medical providers (and others - including the government) keep your SSN on file is to be able to skip trace you if you don't pay your bills.

Some readers may be old enough to remember when the Social Security card said "Not for Identification." Modern cards don't say that anymore because the SSN has become the "de facto" national identification number with which every US citizen can be tracked. I expect that, some day, the number will be genetically implanted on a cellular level at birth.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    I expect that, some day, the number will be genetically implanted on a cellular level at birth.
    It's embedded in the tracking chips the doctor injects with our vaccinations.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast