Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is There a Record of People Who Complain to the State Deparment of Insurance

My question involves insurance law for the state of: CA

I've helped a friend submit a complaint to the CA state department of insurance, about a 3rd party claim (against the insurance of the at-fault driver). Soon after she panicked as she heard from her father that anyone who complains to the CA state is put by the insurances in a "complainer database", which means she'll pay higher premiums next time she switches insurance.

I could not find a way to debunk this conspiracy theory. I googled this topic but found no discussion about it. I believe it is an absurd idea but makes just enough sense on its surface to be believable. I think it would violate a number of CA privacy and consumer laws. I realize it's almost impossible to dissuade a conspiracy believer, but I was wondering if anyone has a better idea than me on how to disprove it.

I guess I should re-evaluate my choices in the matter of friendships ^^

Default Re: The Complainer Database Myth

That doesn't even rise to the level of myth. I say this because a search for 'insurance complainer database" doesn't come up with any myths about such a database or its' evil effects on your insurance rates.

The insurance buying public is so incredibly ignorant about insurance that it's no surprise that somebody came up with that idea.

I spent 35 years in the insurance industry and I swear to you that there is no "complainer database." But you probably aren't going to believe me because I spent 35 years in the insurance industry so I'm obviously part of the conspiracy.

There is, however, a claims database called CLUE to which the insurance industry reports homeowners and auto claims and that information can be used to determine rates for applicants.

You can order your own CLUE report at:

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...D8CD35578D01B0

And a claims database could easily be confused with a complainer's database.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    The insurance buying public is so incredibly ignorant about insurance that it's no surprise that somebody came up with that idea.

I spent 35 years in the insurance industry and I swear to you that there is no "complainer database." But you probably aren't going to believe me because I spent 35 years in the insurance industry so I'm obviously part of the conspiracy.

There is, however, a claims database called CLUE to which the insurance industry reports homeowners and auto claims and that information can be used to determine rates for applicants.
    I'm afraid 20 years from now people will still quote your reply as proof that the complainer database exists, and it even has a website where you can order your own report. I apologize in advance

Quote Quoting RidinginCali
    View Post
    I'm afraid 20 years from now people will still quote your reply as proof that the complainer database exists, and it even has a website where you can order your own report. I apologize in advance
    You are probably right.

Someone inclined to believe silly conspiracy theories isn't likely to be concerned about logical reasoning.

Quote Quoting RidinginCali
    View Post
    Now I'll add fuel to the fire.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) is the U.S. standard-setting and regulatory support organization created and governed by the chief insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and five U.S. territories.

NAIC has a Complaints Database System that contains information about closed consumer complaints filed against insurance entities and producers. CDS is meant solely for use by Insurance Department regulators.

This is statistical information and doesn't name names. But I don't suppose people will believe that either.

Anyway, NAIC is a good resource for consumers as well as the insurance industry:

https://eapps.naic.org/cis/

Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine got on the doctor/dentist/hairstylist/ blacklist because of complaining and whatnot? It must be true!

Quote Quoting Guybrush
    View Post
    Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine got on the doctor/dentist/hairstylist/ blacklist because of complaining and whatnot? It must be true!
    Didn't she also get denied soup by the soup NAZI?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast