Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Going to Court for a Hit-And-Run Charge

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California. Back in May, I received a citation for a hit-and-run accident I was in a month prior. Since then, I hired an attorney to help with the issue. I have a pretrial hearing scheduled for next Wednesday. What should I expect from here? Thanks!

Default Re: Going to Court for a Hit-And-Run Charge

You lawyer can certainly tell better that we will. Pretrials are great places for plea bargains to work out. Otherwise, it is likely that the probable cause for charges be shown and the next court date set.

CA doesn't do probable cause hearings for out of custody defendants and even then, it has to be requested, technically at the arraignment. The pretrial is where your attorney tries to work for a disposition with the DA. It's possible the case will be continued to allow more time to talk. If the case can't settle then it will be set for trial. Talk to you lawyer.

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    What should I expect from here? Thanks!
    Obviously, we have no information about your case beyond what you included in your post. Only your attorney can give you a useful answer to your question.

To be honest, thanks for the help so far; what's the worst possible outcome I can possibly expect? Thanks!

Quote Quoting ijcaff97
    View Post
    To be honest, thanks for the help so far; what's the worst possible outcome I can possibly expect? Thanks!
    Worst case for a conviction for VC 20002(a) (hit-and-run with property damage only) is up 6 months in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000 and restitution for any damages.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thought I'd give y'all an update: I ended up getting two years of probation (down from three originally) and 24 hours of community service (originally five days, then three, then just 24 hours.) That, and I have to pay $220 in court costs, plus go to another hearing for restitution.

Two other things:
    1: My attorney told me that if I complete the service before the March 6 deadline and pay court costs before then, then the case might get dismissed.
    2: He also told me the DA prosecuting the case told him she sweetened up the deal because I held the courtroom door open for her.

Thanks for the update.

This is actually a pretty good deal it seems to me. And, it appears that there may be the possibility of a dismissal (expungement) after you have completed payments and community service. I suspect the process would be asking for early termination from Probation (unlikely until after at least 6-12 months, but who knows?) and then an expungement pursuant to PC 1203.4. That's a good deal.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thought I'd give y'all another update. I'm eight hours away from being done with community service. Also, as mentioned earlier, that plus payment of court costs by the March 6 restitution hearing might be enough to get me off the hook. Can I pay court costs online between now and then, or should I do it once I'm at the courthouse?

Thought I'd let y'all where I'm at: I've been done with my community service since January, my court costs have been paid, and my attorney went back into court last Thursday for a progress report. Hopefully this is going to be over, so I can forget this whole thing and move on.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast