Default What Can a Car Facility Charge for Personal Care Facility Expenses

My question involves a person located in the state of: Pennsylvania

My grandma lives in a personal care facility. She just received a printout from the facility stating that beginning January 1st each PC resident is being charged $25/month for cable TV, $2 each for travel sized bottles of mouthwash and shampoo. $2 for travel sized toothpaste, $2 for a single shaving razor, $2 for a small box of tissues.

My personal opinion is that that they are robbing the residents blind. It can't be legal, can it?

Default Re: Personal Care Facility Expenses

It is legal. It costs the facility to provide those things. She does not have to have cable tv. You can buy the other things cheaper. But do not get the small travel sizes. They get expensive when when purchased every month. Buy the regular sizes.

Unless this facility is subject to some sort of state or federal regulations, why would you think it might not be legal for a private business to charge whatever it sees fit for the goods or services it provides? Sports stadiums charge $10 or more for beer. That's certainly gouging, but it's perfectly legal. As the prior response mentioned, your grandmother isn't required to have cable TV, and $25 per month is hardly "robbery." As for the other stuff, buying travel size items regularly other than for travel is foolish.

Quote Quoting AEDAM
    View Post
    $25/month for cable TV
    Sign me up!

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Unless this facility is subject to some sort of state or federal regulations, why would you think it might not be legal for a private business to charge whatever it sees fit for the goods or services it provides? Sports stadiums charge $10 or more for beer. That's certainly gouging, but it's perfectly legal. As the prior response mentioned, your grandmother isn't required to have cable TV, and $25 per month is hardly "robbery." As for the other stuff, buying travel size items regularly other than for travel is foolish.
    Hopefully the facility doesn't intend to just automatically provide those $2.00 travel size toiletries whenever they think that grandma needs them, because if they do, that will make it difficult to avoid those costs.

Do you want to pay for these items individually, or do you want to pay for them in the form of increased residency fees? I promise you, one way or the other you're paying these charges; it's just more evident this way.

Will they allow the items to be brought in from the outside?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Do you want to pay for these items individually, or do you want to pay for them in the form of increased residency fees? I promise you, one way or the other you're paying these charges; it's just more evident this way.
    cbg makes a good point. It also explains the trial sizes.

1. Sponsored Links