Default Transferring Probation Due to Marriage

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

My girlfriend was arrested in Georgia for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and she's originally from Illinois which is where all of her family lives, she was sentenced to 5 years probation, well now we want to get married and she what's to move back to get after we get married because it's cheaper here than up there and I have a good job here that I can't transfer from. How would we go about doing that? and is that even possible?

Default Re: Transferring

Quote Quoting NPortwood
    View Post
    My girlfriend was arrested in Georgia for being in the wrong place at the wrong time
    Why don't you tell us why he was actually arrested? Given that she was apparently convicted -- not just arrested -- it's obviously more than her "being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Quote Quoting NPortwood
    View Post
    she what's to move back to get after
    One more time in English, please....

Quote Quoting NPortwood
    View Post
    How would we go about doing that? and is that even possible?
    She should start by talking with her probation officer and/or her attorney. She'll need to get the Georgia authorities to agree and the Illinois authorities to agree to accept her as a transferee.

Default Re: Transferring

She needs to ask her PO. That's where the process starts. If she has been compliant with her probation, such transfers are often granted. The way it works, given her explaining that she has good cause and good prospect to live in the new location, goes to her PO. Her probation office will contact the probation office in the location that will take it over. If they are willing, they send back a description of what they are willing to do. It goes back to the Georgia probation office and if they approve, they send it back to Illinois to be set up. It can take a few monhts.

The one thing she does not want to do is abscond from her existing probation before this is finalized. The chances of getting it approved if she is in violation are nil.

1. Sponsored Links