Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Unwanted Dog on Shared Property

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Nebraska

I was desperate to get into this new house and I did so, but not under the best circumstances. I agreed to partial ownership of the house even though it's my loan. I'm disabled and I need somebody to take care of me, so keep in mind the decisions I make can be a bit compromised. Anyways, now that I'm in the house, we both have partial ownership since we're both on the deed, to my understanding. But...yeah, guess what: He's got an annoying dog that barks too much. Not sure if I could make this case, but this thing aggravates my condition since I have severe anxiety and it barks really loudly and suddenly...something not good for my recovery from this. I still think I'm getting better but the dumb dog is definitely slowing down my progress a lot. I've told my dad about this but he just insists on keeping it since he has an emotional bond with the animal. (Really selfish and disgusting in my humble opinion!) He also wakes me up at night totally randomly. Probably an average of once a night or sometimes just early in the morning. That doesn't help me or my condition either, let's keep it to that.

So the question is, given the situation, do I have any legal grounds to force the dog out of my house? Or is this something for a social worker?

Default Re: Unwanted Dog on Shared Property

Quote Quoting Jackson9001
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: Nebraska

... Anyways, now that I'm in the house, we both have partial ownership since we're both on the deed, to my understanding.
    First, you need to confirm how the home is actually deeded. I don't quite understand how you could not already know the answer to this.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    First, you need to confirm how the home is actually deeded. I don't quite understand how you could not already know the answer to this.
    We are both on the deed for sure. What I was saying is that I don't know how exactly that affects ownership.

I'm going to bet that you have no avenue to have the dog legally removed.

What is the relationship between you and the other party? How did you get into this co-ownership?

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I'm going to bet that you have no avenue to have the dog legally removed.

What is the relationship between you and the other party? How did you get into this co-ownership?
    It's my father. He gifted me money to make a 50/50 down payment on the house. So we're both equally invested and both on the deed.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

View Post
    We are both on the deed for sure. What I was saying is that I don't know how exactly that affects ownership.
    Easy: he owns half and you own half.

There's little you'll likely be able to do and, if this is your dad, as you seem to say, then your surprise at there being a dog is pretty unbelievable. Also, you attitude towards your father's bond with his dog is abhorrent.

If your father is providing you care AND paying for a share of the house (I'm making an assumption here) you should think carefully before you choose to upset that apple cart.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

View Post
    He also wakes me up at night totally randomly. Probably an average of once a night or sometimes just early in the morning. That doesn't help me or my condition either, let's keep it to that.?
    Have you tried shutting your door?

Quote Quoting Mark47n
    View Post
    Easy: he owns half and you own half.

There's little you'll likely be able to do and, if this is your dad, as you seem to say, then your surprise at there being a dog is pretty unbelievable. Also, you attitude towards your father's bond with his dog is abhorrent.

If your father is providing you care AND paying for a share of the house (I'm making an assumption here) you should think carefully before you choose to upset that apple cart.
    Ok but what exactly does owning half mean? Obviously I understand the general idea that we both own half. For all I know, I could just say "get off my property!" and have something legally removed, though apparently not judging by the responses I'm getting so far.

Honestly I disagree that my attitude in regards to the dog situation is a bad one. He's sacrificing the health of his only son, a human being, for what? To own a dog? Why? God forbid somebody else has to lose something they're attached to.

But yes I am aware that it's a precarious situation. However, I really don't need that much care. It's not like he's waiting on me hand and foot. All I need is my mail and a ride to the VA once or twice a month.

View Post
    we both have partial ownership since we're both on the deed, to my understanding. But...yeah, guess what: He's got an annoying dog that barks too much.
    Sounds like the other person to whom you're referring here is your father. Correct? Also, why is it only "to [your] understanding" that both of your names are on the deed? In one of your follow up posts, you write that you "don't know how exactly that affects ownership," but that doesn't really make sense. That both of your names are on the deed means you jointly own the property. Did you really not know that?

View Post
    this thing aggravates my condition since I have severe anxiety and it barks really loudly and suddenly...something not good for my recovery from this.
    Which makes it even more baffling that you would choose to buy a house with this person.

View Post
    do I have any legal grounds to force the dog out of my house?
    Based on what you've told us, it's your father's house as much as it's your house, so no.

View Post
    Or is this something for a social worker?
    No.

Unfortunately for you, bad decisions often have unwelcome consequences, and the law does not exist to relieve folks from the consequences of their own bad decisions. Sorry.

Quote Quoting Shadowbunny
    View Post
    Have you tried shutting your door?
    Are you suggesting that you think a dog's bark cannot penetrate a closed door?

View Post
    Ok but what exactly does owning half mean? Obviously I understand the general idea that we both own half. For all I know, I could just say "get off my property!" and have something legally removed, though apparently not judging by the responses I'm getting so far.
    Given your statement that you "understand the general idea that [you] both own half," I don't really understand your question. Based on what you've told us, each of you has identical rights to occupy the house. You can't get rid of him; he can't get rid of you. Neither of your can prevent the other from using the property in whatever lawful ways you want, including owning a dog.

View Post
    Ok but what exactly does owning half mean? Obviously I understand the general idea that we both own half.
    Obviously, you don't.

Your father owns as much of the house as you do. You own it equally. You are both kings of the castle. Neither you nor he is top dog.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast