Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Unwanted Dog on Shared Property

I really wasn't looking for commentary on my decisions or situation. I find the conduct on this forum to be totally inappropriate. I came here looking for legal advice. I fail to see how your personal feelings are relevant. Honestly I probably won't be coming back to this site since it seems overrun with people who just want to spew negativity rather than simply give legal advice. But because I have nothing better to do, I'll try to wrap this up with an explanation of how I found myself in this situation.

Where I was living to begin with also had a dog, but that was not my property in the least. I urged them not to get one, but they did anyways. At least in that instance, I fully understood that I was renting and they could do practically whatever they wanted on the property. So in other words, I was between a rock and a hard place. A common theme in my life. I figured that partial ownership would give me more control since any more than nothing would be more. Also of course I'm not surprised that there is a dog. I was just hoping that between legal control and trying to convince my dad to get rid of it, one of the two would work.

I assume you are speaking to other responses because all I have given you is advise on control of the co-owned property. I don't understand why you would think you have more rights than the other person in a 50/50 ownership.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Are you suggesting that you think a dog's bark cannot penetrate a closed door?
    I'm suggesting that closing the door can certainly help with the noise the dog is making. As can ear plugs, a white-noise machine, or other practical suggestion since he can't force his dad to get rid of the dog.

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Seeing as this is a place to come for free informal legal discussions on your issues I can say in confidence that the color commentary comes free of charge. If you want clean professional legal advice you'll need to pony up some shekels and hire an attorney.

So, you left one situation (little control and a dog) for a similar one (little control and a dog). You cannot compel your father to get rid of his dog. You knew he had it before so you cannot plead ignorance. If you communicate with him in a form similar as you are here I can see why you may have problems.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting Jackson9001
    View Post
    Ok but what exactly does owning half mean? Obviously I understand the general idea that we both own half. For all I know, I could just say "get off my property!" and have something legally removed, though apparently not judging by the responses I'm getting so far.

Honestly I disagree that my attitude in regards to the dog situation is a bad one. He's sacrificing the health of his only son, a human being, for what? To own a dog? Why? God forbid somebody else has to lose something they're attached to.

But yes I am aware that it's a precarious situation. However, I really don't need that much care. It's not like he's waiting on me hand and foot. All I need is my mail and a ride to the VA once or twice a month.
    Your father gifted you the money needed to make the down payment and you are being this ungrateful? Why don't you just move out and live somewhere else since the money was all your dad's in the first place?

Have you asked your dad if he would allow a shock collar for the dog to control the barking? They do work to stop barking. Some are against them but they can help to control barking dogs.

As far as the ownership issue thinking of it at 50/50 or equal shares can get things a little mixed up for your concerns. Speaking from a financial point of view, you are in it 50/50. You both are entitled to half the value if it gets sold.

But as far as use of the house it's more like 100/100. You both have full use of the house and land to do what you want as long as you allow the other owner the same. If you wanted to get 10 cats that stink up the place and drive the dog nuts that's your choice just as he can have a dog that bothers you and you can't stop it.

Try asking about the shock collar option.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I assume you are speaking to other responses because all I have given you is advise on control of the co-owned property.
    Lets not play dumb, this is an incredibly common complaint, and in my opinion a legitimate one. If it's not about you, don't take it personally.

Quote Quoting RandallCS
    View Post
    Lets not play dumb, this is an incredibly common complaint, and in my opinion a legitimate one. If it's not about you, don't take it personally.
    The post I responded to was after a post I made and the OP didn't quote a post.

You could try to remedy the behavior. They make anti-barking devices and dog whistles that can be used to associate barking with a negative stimuli. You could also offer to pay for obedience training. A properly trained dog doesn't bark unless it feels it or its owner is threatened, and even that can be undone by a master dog trainer.

Hopefully your father isn't one of them "I want my dog to be a guard dog" types or he might not be open to any of these solutions, and that statement is practically the motto of crappy dog owners. They should get shirts made and start a club. Plus it's also amusingly impractical, because if the dog barks at everything all day long, you will become jaded to it and not be warned of a real threat anyway.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2