Default Can a Minor Move Into College Dorms

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Kansas

On my college move in date I will be exactly one month away from my 18th birthday. I want to move into the dorms at my college even though I will still be in the same town and my parents will not let me. My parents are way too strict to the point where I was not allowed to see my own brother when he moved out because my mother was jealous that he did not want to see her because of how she treated him. They refuse to accept my religious beliefs and make me go to church every Sunday and Wednesday despite them and my mother is constantly talking down to me, calling me names, and otherwise making me feel worthless. How would I go about moving out without being in legal trouble?

Default Re: Going to College Dorms

Once you turn 18, you're free to do as you please. Until then, what your parents say goes.

Okay, but is there a legal way I can get out of there BEFORE 18. Emphasis on before.

You would have to meet all of these requirements BEFORE you go in front of a judge.

You must be at least 14 years of age when you begin to seek legal emancipation.
    You must not be living with your parents or legal guardian. The court wants to be sure you have made living arrangements where you plan to stay for a long time. Saying you are staying with a friend is not good enough.
    Your parents or legal guardian must have consented/agreed to your living away from them. One way to do this is if they sign a consent to your Emancipation. If your parents sign this form, it will be easier for you to become emancipated. If your parents will not sign this form, you may be able to show the court that your parents have “acquiesced”. If you are living away from home and your parents know all about this but they are not strongly objecting or trying to bring you back home to live, a judge MAY interpret their lack of action as an agreement to your living arrangements.
    You must manage your own financial affairs. The court needs to be sure you have income earned only by you and that you make the decision on how that income is spent. You will need to show evidence that you pay your own bills, especially for necessary things like housing, food and clothing. Even if you trade housework for room and board, it is best if you get paid and show that you are actually paying rent. There is no set amount you must earn, but the Judge will look at your income closely to make certain you can meet your expenses.
    Your source of income must be legal. You cannot earn your money from criminal activities.
    The emancipation must be in your best interest. This allows the Judge a lot of freedom in deciding if you should be emancipated. Even if you meet the other five requirements, a judge who feels it is not in your best interest to become emancipated can deny your request. In court, your parents or anyone else may object to your emancipation and try to persuade the judge that it is not in your best interest.

https://www.kansaslegalservices.org/...0/emancipation

From the link above: If you will be 18 in six months or less, there is not time to complete the emancipation process before you turn 18 and are automatically emancipated.

Something to consider - are your parents paying for any portion of your college expenses?

Quote Quoting jumanji
    View Post
    Something to consider - are your parents paying for any portion of your college expenses?
    AND do you need their information for FAFSA purposes?

Quote Quoting Amber-Rae01
    View Post
    Okay, but is there a legal way I can get out of there BEFORE 18. Emphasis on before.
    Did you not read my prior response? Until you turn 18, what your parents say goes. If I hadn't meant exactly that, I wouldn't have written it.

Quote Quoting Amber-Rae01
    View Post
    NO. There is not a legal way you can get out of there before 18. Emphasis on NO.

If you depend on your parents to pay for anything. Or if you have to fill out a FAFSA form to help with your college expenses. You need to figure out what you will do if your parents refuse to pay for anything and/or give you money.

1. Sponsored Links